VMware Communities
pepijntje14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

External HD problem Xp>Xp

Hi all!

My host system is windows xp so is my qeust system.

Ussualy when I want to set files from my host to my qeust and vice versa I just plugg in an USB pen drive and put the files on it and then in VMWARE WORKSTATION I connect it to the qeust.

This works fine however. Doing the same thing with my 120 GB NFTS formated external hard disk doesn't work. It simply doesn't recognize it in the qeust system.

So does anybody know how to fix this or how to Transfer files from the qeust to host and vice versa easily?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kotofeich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same principle (dragging) applies to transferring files from guest to host and from host to guest.

An alternate solution for when you want to use full screen mode is to use administrative shares: /c$ You will need to provide admin credentials to access. This method has nothing to do with VMWares - just a regular windows networking concept.

Please refer to http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_preserve_using_sshot.html for information about snapshots and how to use them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kotofeich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The simplest and easiest method for transferring files is to install vmware tools on the guest and then drag the files from the vmware guest window to a file explorer window on the host.

Sorry, can't really help you with getting the external disk recognized, though the first thing I'd check is whether the USB controller of the guest (virtual machine settings) is set to automatically connect new usb devices...

pepijntje14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

How ever now that the problem is solved in which we transfer files FROM the GEUST to the host.

Now I am searching for a way to do it the other way around.

Also I saw that I could make snapshots of a system is this like a saved state how the system is? How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Kotofeich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same principle (dragging) applies to transferring files from guest to host and from host to guest.

An alternate solution for when you want to use full screen mode is to use administrative shares: /c$ You will need to provide admin credentials to access. This method has nothing to do with VMWares - just a regular windows networking concept.

Please refer to http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_preserve_using_sshot.html for information about snapshots and how to use them.

0 Kudos
pepijntje14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you helped me alot!

I couldn't transfer files from my host desktop to my geust desktop so I thought it only worked GEUST>HOST

But I to drag a file from the host to a MAP on the geust then it would work fine!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos