VMware Communities
kparris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host screensaver engages even while active in a guest

Host hardware is Dell Performance Desktop, dual core hyperthreaded, 2gig ram, Nvidia display adapter. Host OS is Windows Server 2003 sp2.

Using VMWare Workstation 6-45731, one guest OS is Windows Server 2003 sp2. Enhanced virtual keyboard setting is checked; vmtools installed and running. Other guest is an NT4 system generated by P2V Converter, also has enhanced virtual keyboard checked and is running.

Host video display is 1280x1024, guest display is 1024x768, not using fullscreen mode.

While working actively in the 2k3 guest system using only the keyboard, the Host screensaver comes on after the set time (30 minutes). My guess is the host does not 'notice' the keyboard activity and triggers on the absence of mouse movement for the specified idle time value.

Also have a strange behavior problem with clicking host taskbar buttons to bring items to foreground (such as either of the two guests running, or the already-running task manager, or a My Computer instance) where it just doesn't respond - multiple taskbar buttons appear in "pushed down" status, but the related window does not come forward. If task manager is already visible, using the "switch to" option on there will bring the selected item to forground, but the strangeness doesn't end then. . . . seems to require a ctrl-alt-del (when no guest has focus) and select task manager from that dialog to clear things, but I haven't researched this in great detail yet.

Overall everything else seems fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Kparris,

thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce the screen saver issue and filed a bug for this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Kparris,

thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce the screen saver issue and filed a bug for this.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fixed in Workstation 6.5!