VMware Communities
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

How to Guest-only Internet Access?

Hello Community

My goal is to get Guest connected to Internet while Host isolated from Internet. I have limited experience with Microsoft Hyper-V and it is possible with a single checkbox there. For the VMWare Workstation, I can't find any fresh recommendations on how to do this. My current Workstation network setting is "Bridged". 

I've already tried following this advice with no success: Using a network adapter only with the VMware Workstation guest virtual machine (1020359) If I disassociate the network adapter (Intel Wi-Fi on a laptop) from all the protocols except VMWare Bridge, the Guest Internet connection fades as well.

Please help me

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Gizzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To have guest-only internet access on WS pro, I would use the Host-Only networking mode. This isolates the host system from the internet while still having internet access to the guest virtual machine.

0 Kudos
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the default configuration for Host-Only network isolates guest from lnternet, and I need exactly opposite. I read this https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-93BDF7F1-D2E4-42CE... If there is a way to configure the mode to isolate host and enable guest, please share. 

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would try giving the host phony gateway and DNS addresses. 

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not sure why you want to disconnect the host, but you have 2 options :

1- connect USB Wi-Fi Adapter to the guest, and disconnect the host.

2- use firewall to block all programs except vmware. i recommend Comodo, the firewall is free and the best, and full internet security is so cheap. or TinyWall if Comodo is difficult to configure

0 Kudos
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for advice. The use case is: my work requires hardware gpu acceleration and isolation from Internet (apparently on host). Firewalls untrusted. At the same time I'd like to browse web (on guest).

For example, Hyper-V enables this scenario with ease. But I look for Workstation cause it much better with video-audio stuff which I'll need in web.

I'm going ask VMWare tech support and post result here.

0 Kudos
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if I can do such tricks without step-by-step instructions, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@nicomalkov wrote:

Not sure if I can do such tricks without step-by-step instructions, unfortunately.

Then your best option is to buy usb wifi adapter, you can find one as cheap as 5$. cheap good brands can be between 10 and 15$, and you will always find a way to use it.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

One method I've recommended in the past (however, I'm not sure if it would work in your use case - but it's worth a try) is on your host's physical NIC settings, to disable everything except the VMware Bridge Protocol.  That way the host cannot use that NIC, but VMware can - and the guest will use it's normal networking clients/protocols via the bridging.

0 Kudos
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi RDPetrushka ) As far as I understand, your method was the first I've tried. No success, it shuts the internet for the guest too.

So far I found no way to open a technical support case before I purchase the product from VMWare. I have opened a non-technical support case on product evaluation. Hope this helps and I'll share the solution with the community.

0 Kudos
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

jen2 , it will definitely work, thx. But I'd like to not occupy usb ports on my notebook because I'll use them all.

0 Kudos
nicomalkov
Contributor
Contributor

My experience after almost two months of working in Player is this: VMWare Player does not have native functions for disabling the Internet connection for the host (For example, Microsoft Hyper-V does).

The only thing that somehow worked was to disable all network protocols except VMWare, IPv4 and IPv6. At the same time, I deliberately mixed up the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and masks. This resulted in the Internet being unavailable within a regular browser. However, some programs and Windows itself were able to update without being affected by this. 

Sad

0 Kudos