VMware Communities
nikkojail
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware WI-FI Adpater/ kali-linux

Hi guys, today on the agenda I wanted to test my wi-fi networks a little bit / but faced a problem that VMware does not see my adapter, I use an internal adapter for wi-fi for stationary PC adapter: intel(r) wi-fi 6 ax201 160mhz / windows 11 pro, everyone says that it is easier to buy an adapter for usb but then what is the point of this, the problem is that VMware does not see the adapter, all services are enabled and working properly, anyone know how to solve this problem

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Was this NIC present when you installed Workstation?  

Check the properties and see if the 'VMware Bridge Protocol' client is installed and enabled.  If not, install it (inf file should be in the Workstation folder).

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Network adapters that are on the motherboard itself are not passthrough-capable because they are PCI devices.

Workstation can only passthrough USB devices.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
nikkojail
Contributor
Contributor

gets since this one is essentially an internal PCI EXPRESS adapter I won't be able to configure as it should be? And the only way out is to buy a usb adapter ? Is there no way or some kind of crutch ? 😞

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

For PCI devices (including GPUs) VMs will get a "virtual device" which is an abstraction to the physical device on the Host.

USB devices can be given directly to the VM, bypassing the Host completely.

Workstation has no mechanism to provide PCI device passthrough because Windows doesn't provide any such hooks/APIs to do this. It's in-part why we created ESXi 😉

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
DCasota
Expert
Expert

@nikkojail almost all has been said.

Recently I was tinkering with Windows Linux Subsystem on Windows11, and run into wifi adapter issues as well. It's not a Workstation-only issue, but people are starting comparisons with their preferred type 2 hypervisor product. Here some common pros/cons for WSL.

Pros

You can use kali-linux and a few other distros from the wsl distro "marketplace". Activating wsl is easy but you must have local administrative rights on your laptop/workstation to configure networking, adapters, etc.
GPU support in WSL2.

Neutral

Microsoft is forcing the integration of devices with new capabilities in business units for wsl developers and game development kit developers. Keep in mind that their learning curve with xbox kinect sensors and peripheral component interconnect speed is at least fifteen years old now.
There is no paid support business modell for WSL. 

Cons

You can't deliver wsl distro vm units across endpoints. No configuration management. It's a local configuration only.

Time source (!!), pci devices, usb devices (through usbipd), typically attaching/sharing audio, gpu, camera, storage mismatch prevention, multiple network paths, etc. - that "game engine" has limited peripheral support, also for wifi adapters.

It is complicated with the whole chain of application configuration, iptables, wsl file, .wslconfig, ethernet adapter vEthernet (WSL (Hyper-V firewall)), ethernet adapter vEthernet (default switch), bluetooth and/or wlan adapters. Let's say you have an attached usb ethernet-adapter, do not forget the classic windows firewall and maybe you are using antivirus vpn or cisco vpn as well. There is no network config manager like in Photon OS.
For a bunch of peripheral devices, you have to recompile the wsl kernel to make use of them. It's not plug'n'play. It's a Linux-style of business.

There is no long-time support. Wsl1, wsl2 often breaks with newer distros.

With strengthened Broadcom there is a chance now that the development and integration of software drivers becomes "number one" topic. For all those Bcm94350, Bcm94360, etc. Software drivers, Software drivers in software drivers (concept of vmxnet3), Tanzu ci/cd tested - this is all about doing the right things right, for all those bus types. And, just to have it mentioned, in ten years radio isotope batteries will become a mass product. Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years. I think Paul Maritz said that fifteen years ago.

With VMware Workstation (and VMware vCenter Converter) I strongly believe you get thought-out concepts of resource encapsulation control, support for peripheral devices, management and sbom security.

0 Kudos