VMware Communities
ashu_wifi1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to access my Vms From internet

Hi all

iam running VMW 6.05 i have 10 vm running inside it my host is xp professional and i dont want to do RDP to this host becoz that will log him out becoz just allow 1 rdp connection

i need to access my two Linux Vms from internet but dont know how Vmware workstaion network is confiured to bridged mode they get internt via dsl connection on host pc and its dsl mode is configured to PPPOE mode

pls give me yours kind suggestion and solutions Smiley Happy

Thanks for yours support

Ashu

http://www.sysadminindia.com/
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The instructions are very router specific, so your mileage will vary.

On my linksys router, I log into the management interface, go to the Applications & Gaming tab to setup your port forwarding.

There are a few built-in choices there, but you can go to the blank area and create your own.

There, type in ssh_vm1, select the external port (this is the port you will use to connect from the internet) and then the internal port (for ssh, this is 22), then the internal IP address, and check enabled.

Do the same for the ssh_vm2, and you should be good to go.

Now, you'll have to find your external IP address as well in order to connect to the internet address that has been assigned to you by your ISP. You can reach a site, like ipchecking.com, and your address is in the top right hand-corner.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure you know the security implications of allowing this type of access from the internet.

If you have a bridged network on workstation, then your host and vm's are on the same network segment, so this can be pretty dangerous if your vm gets compromised.

Otherwise, with your DSL connection, you should have a router. The router will need to be configured to allow inbound connection on the port that you want to allow to be opened. That external port can be mapped to a "server" port inside, which would be to your vm's. I would use a non-standard port, and only allow access to ssh for your linux vm's.

-KjB

0 Kudos
ashu_wifi1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for reply

but i dont know hw to apply what you told to me pls explain in practical way

Thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The instructions are very router specific, so your mileage will vary.

On my linksys router, I log into the management interface, go to the Applications & Gaming tab to setup your port forwarding.

There are a few built-in choices there, but you can go to the blank area and create your own.

There, type in ssh_vm1, select the external port (this is the port you will use to connect from the internet) and then the internal port (for ssh, this is 22), then the internal IP address, and check enabled.

Do the same for the ssh_vm2, and you should be good to go.

Now, you'll have to find your external IP address as well in order to connect to the internet address that has been assigned to you by your ISP. You can reach a site, like ipchecking.com, and your address is in the top right hand-corner.

-KjB

0 Kudos
ashu_wifi1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have forwared my port 22 in DSL router to my VM 192.168.1.3 but i still cant get access from putty at all pls tell me what to do

as an a alternative you pls tell how can i access my VM via VNC step by step

Thanks

0 Kudos