VMware Communities
pklammer
Contributor
Contributor

How to share host drive letters to guest?

My (Windows XP Pro SP2) host has drives partitioned into letters C through H -- some partitions are backed up, some are disposable, etc.

What is the best way, or what are some ways, to see the same volumes with the same letters in my Windows XP guest?

VMware "Share Folders" seems to come close but not quite: In the Virtual Machine Settings, I can defined folder names "HostE", "HostF", etc. associated with E:\, F:\, etc. But in the guest, every attempt to map drive letters fails to map at the folder level, and instead maps at the (single) share level, so that guest E:\ looks like a volume containing top-level folders HostE\, HostF\, etc. That's not what I want. I want guest E: mapped to HostE\'s contents, and guest F: mapped to what HostF\ contains, etc.

In the guest Network Places, I can see that VMware Shared Folders really contains only a single share, called "
.host", and that apparently is all I can map to. Is there some way to get VMware Shared Folders to expose multiple mappable shares?

The only alternative I am aware of right now is to use Windows Networking (Workgroup) shares, just as I now do between other machines on the house LAN. Isn't that slower? Are there other penalties of funnelling all my drive I/O through emulated network adaptors, or is the cost so relatively minor?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My two cents: Windows networking is the way to go. Stay away from VMShares. There are many documented problems and issues. By using Windows networking you are using the industry "standard" with years of proven stability and easily found support. If you just think of the VMs as separate PCs and handle most situations accordingly it is much easier.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
pklammer
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Networking between VMware host and guest fails if host is not online.

Pop-up reads:

The network bridge on device VMNET0 is temporarily down because the bridged Ethernet interface is down. The virtual machine may not be able to communicate with the host or with other machines on your network. \[OK]

It seems as if the network accessibility is through the host's external network interface, and if that is down, the VMware guest can't view the host's Windows Networking resources (shares, etc.)

Host can ping and "net view" guest by name (i.e. "net view vmxppro"). Guest can ping by IP address, but not by name (no DNS resolution); in guest "net view" sees nothing. Guest has DHCP address issued by host, according to ipconfig.

0 Kudos