VMware Communities
markkal123
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation hypothetical

ok so i am really new to vmware.

i just downloaded and installed the workstation beta. the host machine is behind a software and physical firewall / router. I now install winxp pro with sp2 (which is also installed on the host machine) on the guest machine. no file sharing and connect the guest machine to the internet. i provide some snot nosed 13 year old, or someone with better abilities the key to the kingdom. in other words, i provide him with any tools or information needed to gain unfettered access to the guest machine.

To what extent will the security of the host machine be compromised if at all? If there is a security risk, what should be my concerns. would they be the same as with any compromised workstation on my home lan?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
telfred
Expert
Expert

A first general comment having installed a beta product you then ask about whether it has security holes, umm

The serious point here is that a VM guest will only be as protected as the OS that is running on it. So if you choose not to install / configure a firewall and anti-virus then attach it to the internet, well low and behold the machine will be infected if viruses exist to infect it.

The method of infection has implications for the safety of the host or other physical computers, an e-mail virus could infect the host etc just as it could infect the VM guest. If the VM guest uses removable media that becomes infected which is then placed in another physical computer the physical computer will become infected.

The best advice which is protect the VM guest as if it were a physical computer, hosts do not tend to get infected directly from the VM guest however with the tendency of viruses to use networking distribution there are no guarantees.

A good security ploy is to use one of the more obscure operating systems as nobody can be bothered to write viruses for them however they don't tend to be very good at playing games Smiley Wink

0 Kudos