VMware Communities
Benni_007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am a newbie to vmware paid licenses

Hey ho,

just as i said, i am a newbie to vmware paid licenses and i am considering to buy a license for VMWare Workstation Pro 17 for private use. 

Therefore I have a questions:

1. Is the Vmware Workstation license considered a lifetime license and only the support/updates will end if you don't renew the support subscriptions at some point or does the license generally have a term and then ends to work?

Thanks to all, who give me an answer to this Question.

Benni

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, the ability to create Support tickets is part of an ongoing support contract, separate from the product license (a short interval is granted upon purchase of the product license - I can't remember if it is 30 or 90 days).  The product license is good for lifetime (obviously at some point in time, you will be unable to continue to run the older OS and hardware which the older version of Workstation runs on).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A Workstation license is valid for any/all updates to the major version which it is for (i.e. if you have a Workstation 16.x license, it is good for 16.0.0 through 16.2.5, and any future updates VMware would release for it).  It does not expire.  You will need to upgrade to a new license if you want to use a new major version (i.e. Workstation 17).

0 Kudos
Benni_007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for answer, if i am understanding correctly The ESD and Basic Support subscription is not necessary to get more updates but only to increase the customer support level (how fast support requests are processed and so on). Its my first License of a VMWare Workstation then. And if I buy a license today, for example, I could theoretically still use it in 10 years? And i only have to buy a new license then i want to upgrade from 17 to the next major version release just like 18 or something?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, the ability to create Support tickets is part of an ongoing support contract, separate from the product license (a short interval is granted upon purchase of the product license - I can't remember if it is 30 or 90 days).  The product license is good for lifetime (obviously at some point in time, you will be unable to continue to run the older OS and hardware which the older version of Workstation runs on).

0 Kudos