VMware Communities
xjyofc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot remove the newly added virtual disk from the Vmware workstation 17

I added a virtual hard disk device in the virtual machine, but found that the remove button could not be clicked, so I could not remove the virtual hard disk. I searched the product usage document, but could not find a solution, hoping someone can tell me how to do.

Also, I encountered this problem when I turned off the power to the virtual machine.

xjyofc_0-1674555086266.png

xjyofc_0-1674575838115.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, that was a thought.  Perhaps it's something to do with the guest being Windows 11, and (at least partially) encrypted?

Well, you can always do it the hard way - editing the vmx file manually (with Workstation closed, or at least that VM's tab not open in the Workstation UI).  Remove any lines related to that hard drive, save and close the file, then reopen it in Workstation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
xjyofc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I delete my selection like this?

xjyofc_1-1674578829142.png

OK!NOW~

I tried that, and now that the problem is solved,
It is hoped that this modification will not cause new problems.
Thanks very much RDPetruska for your answer. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is the VM powered on when you are trying to modify the hardware settings?  If so, then I don't think anything can be removed - shut the guest down (not just suspend) before trying to remove/edit hardware settings.

0 Kudos
xjyofc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dude, I can't remove the hard drive with the virtual machine powered down.

xjyofc_0-1674575683957.png

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, that was a thought.  Perhaps it's something to do with the guest being Windows 11, and (at least partially) encrypted?

Well, you can always do it the hard way - editing the vmx file manually (with Workstation closed, or at least that VM's tab not open in the Workstation UI).  Remove any lines related to that hard drive, save and close the file, then reopen it in Workstation.

0 Kudos
xjyofc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I delete my selection like this?

xjyofc_1-1674578829142.png

OK!NOW~

I tried that, and now that the problem is solved,
It is hoped that this modification will not cause new problems.
Thanks very much RDPetruska for your answer. 🙂

0 Kudos