VMware Communities
virtualizatio31
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue with vmrun Command Line Utility Hanging in VMware Workstation 17.5.0

Hello everyone,

I recently re-imaged my Windows 10 system and installed VMware Workstation 17.5.0 (build-22583795). After the installation, I was able to successfully run my old virtual machines without any issues. However, I've encountered a problem with the command line utility vmrun – it's completely unresponsive. Every command I try, including simple ones like vmrun list, just hangs without returning any output. Previously, vmrun was working perfectly fine on this computer with the same version of VMware Workstation.

Here's an example command that I ran in PowerShell (note that vmrun is already in PATH )

o0qzMSk

And another one attempting to revert to a snapshot:

XBoPJWw

Both commands provide no response and do not terminate.

I've verified that virtualization is enabled in the BIOS settings. I'm at a loss for what the issue might be and would greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions on how to resolve this. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualizatio31
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe I have identified the problem. As previously mentioned, I reimaged my computer yesterday and made sure to install all the necessary drivers. I carefully checked the Device Manager to ensure there were no yellow exclamation marks or unrecognized devices. However, it appears that this was not sufficient.

My system runs on an ASRock Taichi X299 motherboard. Today, I installed four additional drivers and, to my surprise, vmrun started working! I'm not certain which specific driver resolved the issue, but it was definitely one of them. I hope this information proves helpful to others. Here are the four drivers I installed:

1. Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:15.7.1.1015
  2. Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 ver:1.0.0.1033
  3. Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 XHCI driver ver:1.16.38.1
  4. Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.10.0.1287

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualizatio31
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for providing the link, but unfortunately, that page does not offer a solution to my issue. Additionally, I have just discovered that it seems all command line utilities are behaving similarly. For example:
Vh0R8Yu

Furthermore, once started, the vmrun process cannot be terminated – closing the command line window or PowerShell window does not stop the vmrun process, and I am unable to terminate it, even with the highest permissions.
PqHWKJ8

0 Kudos
virtualizatio31
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe I have identified the problem. As previously mentioned, I reimaged my computer yesterday and made sure to install all the necessary drivers. I carefully checked the Device Manager to ensure there were no yellow exclamation marks or unrecognized devices. However, it appears that this was not sufficient.

My system runs on an ASRock Taichi X299 motherboard. Today, I installed four additional drivers and, to my surprise, vmrun started working! I'm not certain which specific driver resolved the issue, but it was definitely one of them. I hope this information proves helpful to others. Here are the four drivers I installed:

1. Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:15.7.1.1015
  2. Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 ver:1.0.0.1033
  3. Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 XHCI driver ver:1.16.38.1
  4. Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.10.0.1287

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good that you found the solution

0 Kudos