VMware Communities
twistedau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network Bridge Mode Not Working Windows 10 Host

Running VMware Workstation Pro 14 (14.1.1 build-7528167). None of my guest VM's can contact my host machine, and my host machine cannot contact the guest machines. This occurs when I'm using bridged mode for the guest NIC's. Other machines on my network can contact the guest VM's and the guest VM's can contact other machines on my network; they also have Internet access. This seems to just be guest to host and host to guest communication issues. If I switch from bridged to host only or NAT it works OK. I've tried to uninstall>reboot>reinstall VMware workstation. I've tried resetting the network settings to default in the Virtual network app. I can see the VMware bridge driver on my host machines physical NIC. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. I've turned off the firewalls on both machines.

50 Replies
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I has disabled windows firewall and worked for me, now I can see the right mac address for the virtual machines

So then what would be the solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
cnhi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am testing Workstation Player (non-commercial) 14.1.2 and 15.5 on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

I chose Bridge mode and everywhere virtual machines assigned DHCP IP from workstation player = 192.168.200.xxx so it is like NAT setting. Bridge mode not working.

I don't know why VMs don't assigned IP from router/gateway - same class address like host.

0 Kudos
GB998877
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had what I think is the same problems as you, NAT fine to external, but bridged only connection is to other VMs on the same subnet, nothing outside the physical host.

Using VM Workstation 15.5.0 build-14665864

What I found was that there was crap in the .vmx file left over from a previous version of workstation, resulting in  god knows what entries for the ethernet adapter.

What I had to do was

1 - Shut the VM down

2 - Edit and remove all network cards from the VM within VMworkstation

3 - Remove the VM from the inventory

4 - Edit the .vmx file of the guest using notepad and delete all lines with reference to ethernet0. (there were about 6)  (maybe make a copy of the .vmx file first just in case)

5 - Reattach the VM to the inventory

6 - Add a new network card

After then powering up the VM it got an IP from the DHCP server on the router and was able to ping out to the router.

Hope that's of some help

cnhi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much - this is solution for my issue!!!

0 Kudos
ptsdon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have struggled with this issue, intermittently, for a long time. I have read several posts. Your remedy nailed it! Thank you so much! I rate your post 10 out of 10 for helpfulness.

0 Kudos
farahJm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

oh gush .. you are the saver hahhaha thank you 😁

0 Kudos
SHoldgaard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I had a similar problem and tried uninstallation VMware Workstation, updating VMware tools, resetting the network settings for both the virtual machine, VMware Workstation under Edit => Virtual Network Editor and lots of other thing.

The solution was:

Added a new VMware virtual appliance with the old disk and after that the network was running smoth again. 

/Sören

0 Kudos
Alan49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fixed this issue by changing the settings in the VMWare Virtual Network Editor for the bridged VMnet0 port from Automatic Settings to the manually choosing the wired Ethernet connection for my computer.  

0 Kudos
jeffbagwell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems in my case I had a lot of virtual adapters messing up everything. Doing the suggested solution by Grexdevops and only checking the physical adapters was the right solution to my bridge mode issues. Thanks

0 Kudos
eminempt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys, for me it worked just fine by defining the IP address, the gatway and the DNS servers (as per my router's configurations)

0 Kudos
Alan49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please explain with a little more detail.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
davidmillsom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That worked for me.

0 Kudos
mekkano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case I had SonicWall VPN client installed on my W10, removing it solved the problem

ryanman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been reading and trying solutions posted but I am having the same or similar problems. My VM's are obtaining an IP from the router's DHCP on a bridged connection. I also have only selected the one network card for the bridge (physical ethernet). My VM's can connect to the internet. I cannot connect to any of the VMs from the host machine using the IP address assigned by the router, for any port (80, 22, 3389, etc.) and I cannot ping them either. They also cannot talk to each other. This issue seems to be bidirectional (host and guest). 

If I switch them to a NAT or host-only, they can talk to each other but still cannot reach the host machine and the host machine cannot reach any of the guest VMs over IPv4. I am not bothering with IPv6 right now. One thing at a time.

0 Kudos
Spleanify_AT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have excactly the same Problem aus Ryanman. Do you have any solution therfore?

0 Kudos
robertstritzing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

solution was (for vmware workstation 16 player):
- configure bridge network adapters (only leave your real used NIC enabled)
- delete network adapter from VM config
- add network adapter again

then i got a real ip address and network/internet was working.

vm was taken 1:1 from an ESXI server

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DannyDannyDan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much @GB998877 !

0 Kudos
sofoniyas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
lmartini80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem in vmware player free with Ubuntu 22 as host and Windows 10 as guest.
I got stucked for few days until I find this video that explain a working solution on vmware workstation. 

Until I was on free player, I adapted the solution to my case by doing the following steps (in windows should be the same):

Run Virtual Network Editor GUI, in Ubuntu (free player) you can stop the VM, open a terminal and run vmware-netcfg or in case you're using workstation version using the right menu option.

On Windows/Ubuntu workstation version:
- click on change settings (if apply)
- click restore defaults
- start the Vm

On Windows/Ubuntu free player version:
- Until the button "reset to defaults" does not exist, just delete the bridge network item and recreate it with default setting
- start the Vm

Hope it helps someone.

RafaelBR2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer! Today I had this problem, tried everything and nothing worked! Thanks to you finally worked!

0 Kudos