VMware Communities
JonLowther
Contributor
Contributor

Networking problems when using VMRUN

I'm a newbie with VMWare so please excuse any stupid questions 🙂

I have a remote server (CentOS) on a customer site and I need to be able to run an Ubuntu VM on it. I want the VM to be connected in Bridged mode so that it appears on the network with a unique IP address as follows:

* IP address of the CentOS host machine is 10.10.7.5

* IP address of the Ubuntu VM is 10.10.7.30

I configured the Ubuntu VM on my Windows laptop using VMWorkstation (9.0.0). I made sure that it was configured with the correct IP address and I then shut it down and copied the files across to the CentOS machine.

I have installed VM Workstation (VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.0-812388.i386) on my CentOS 5.6 system, but I am not able to run X on the CentOS system so I am using the the /usr/bin/vmrun command with the "nogui" option to start the VM. Full command is:

/usr/bin/vmrun -T ws start "/data/ftp/outgoing/ubuntu-server-8.04.1-i386/ubuntu-server-8.04.1-i386.vmx" nogui

The VM seems to run ok.

1. When I use "vmrum list" it tells me that the VM is running

ssa0033121:/data/ftp/outgoing # /usr/bin/vmrun list
Total running VMs: 1
/data/ftp/outgoing/ubuntu-server-8.04.1-i386/ubuntu-server-8.04.1-i386.vmx

2. If I check the vwmare.log file it "looks" to me like the VM is running ok, but to be honest I don't really know how to interpret the log file

However, I am not able to connect to the IP address of the Ubuntu server (10.10.7.30) from either the CentOS server or from somewhere else on the same subnet. I don't know if it is connecting in Bridged mode. Can someone interpret the vmware.log file and tell me if the VM is starting up correctly and getting on the network?

When I move/copy a VM and open it in VMworkstaion (in the GUI) then I get asked "did you move it...etc". But you don't get asked this when you run VMrun, so maybe this is the cause of the problem. A friend on mine suggested that it was maybe the virtual MAC address was still set to my Windows laptop, but I'm not sure how to check/correct things.

I've attached the vmware.log file.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've had a look through the other posts but I couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

0 Kudos
0 Replies