VMware Communities
attaGirL08
Contributor
Contributor

No Disk found using ver 6.5.1 on Toshiba laptop EIDE installing XP SP2

Hello,

I am having a setup problem similar to one I saw posted for the same issue, however I am not using a physical scsi hard drive. In the VMware console it has only SCSI as a section for the hard drive, I have an ATA serial IDE interface on my Toshiba Satellite P25-s526 with a new WD Scorpian Blue 160 gb drive. I have no floppy drive and have unchecked connect at power on. I noticed a suggestion to use a .flp file for the setup using F6 would this be appripriate for this issue? If so where could I obtain the file?

I used the recovery CD to install XP on my laptop, not an XP CD.I am using an XP Pro CD to install the virtual workstation with SP2. Toshiba support knowledge Base states XP SP2 is supported for my laptop. I have SP3 on my regular system.

This is my first posting. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I need the virtual machine working so that I may do my homework. I have attached my log file for review.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can obtain the .flp floppy disk image file with the VMware BusLogic SCSI controller drivers on it from the Workstation Download page -- drivers/utilities tab. Yes, add a floppy drive to your VM, point it to that .flp image. Then on boot, click into the VM window, and when the Windows setup shows the message about mass storage drivers, hit F6.

attaGirL08
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your prompt response!

I have tried to do the F6 without success. I type S to install SCSI but the setup continues on asking for additional SCSI drivers but looks for them on A:\. I tried to connect the floppy at power on but got the error ntldr not present. So I removed that option and rebooted. Still no further progress. All I can do at that point is ESC to cancel setup or f3 to continue. If I continue I still get the hard drive not found. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>I tried to connect the floppy at power on but got the error ntldr not present.

Good - the floppy worked and was connected correctly.

Go back to that status - boot again and change BIOS-boot0sequence to start from CD instead of floppy.

Last time you started from floppy - thats what gets the ntldr mssing

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

attaGirL08
Contributor
Contributor

I moved the .flp file to my flash drive and whalla it suddenly found it. No file permission issues there!

Since I am an administrator on this machine my files are set to private! I had copied it directly to the desktop for ease of use!

Thanks!

0 Kudos