VMware Communities
MartynHK
Contributor
Contributor

Packet Loss between VMs and Host when using USB 2.5G NIC

I recently added a USB 2.5G NIC to my PC hoping that I could speed up file transfers.

While this has worked for transfers between the host machine and external devices, VMs running on the box now get a lot of packet loss when they try are under heavy load.

For example, if I copy from the Host to a NAS a 5GB file, I can see it running up to the max speed of the NIC, when I try the same on the VM, it goes up towards the 1GB limit (which I guess is the virtual NIC speed in VM), but the packet loss starts.

Running multiple pings on the host and VM at the same time show that the VM is the one losing the packets and the host is fine. Even pinging the host from the VM has packet loss.

Removing the new NIC and going back to the old 1G NIC, all the problems go away, so it must be something that the VMs dont like running on the faster NIC for some reason.

Any ideas ?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MartynHK
Contributor
Contributor

So, while I thought this was down to the USB 2.5G NIC, it seems now this is happening even when I remove the USB NIC and use the onboard NIC. I cannot say this happened before I tried the new USB NIC, so its something recent.

Could this be a Windows update thats screwed this up or something to do with VM Workstation ?

I have a Dell Optiplex 5080 with 64gb memory running a fully patched version of Windows Pro 11\

Workstation version 17.0.1 build-21139696

0 Kudos