VMware Communities
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

Mount a VMDK on WIndows

I have just purchased VMWare Workstation Pro and I'm not able to find the menu "File - Map" or to find the menu item to mount images in Explorer.

It should be possible based on documentation:

Map or Mount a Virtual Disk to a Drive on the Host System (vmware.com)

but I cannot find it. 

Any idea why?

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm surprised that this feature is still documented, because it has (unfortunately) been removed with WS 17.

from https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17.0/rn/vmware-workstation-170-pro-release-notes/i...

The option to map or mount a virtual disk to a drive on the host system is no longer available in Workstation Pro.

André

0 Kudos
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

This is bad even because I choose the correct version:

m_savazzi_0-1679220492501.png

How we can mount the VMDK now ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, I can't answer you that question. Maybe @Mikero have some hints.

What at least allows to read/extract files from a virtual disk is e.g. 7zip.

André

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

With built-in tools, you cannot... the last version of Workstation which had this working properly is 16.1.2 (which I have stuck with on my work machines, as this is a CRITICAL issue for me).

In theory, you should be able to use the standalone Virtual Disk Development Kit- at least an older version.  5.5 worked great.  Not sure about the newer versions, but you can try.

As Andre said, 7-zip allows one to READ a vmdk file and retrieve files FROM it.  But NOT copy files into it.

0 Kudos
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

this is very bad even for me 😞

I have been using VMWare some time ago and it worked very well. Now I purchased Pro 17 and it misses such a critical functionality, any way to escalate this?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Doubtful - the Workstation product manager reported this in a thread last year where I and others were complaining about the functionality not working starting with 16.2.x - that they would no longer be supporting this feature. @Mikero 

0 Kudos