VMware Communities
jepse83
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with drawing of individual windows in gnome3

Hi There,

since there is a recent update   (2011/11/17) i come up  with a video performance issue witch is not  fixed with the most recent update. I have vm workstation 8 with Linux  Mint (Ubuntu) as a guest. I  installed the latest vmware-tools and  updated my workstation. The  performance issue shows up while i'm  dragging or resizing windows. Every time i start moving a window, the  inner content of the window disappears as you can see in the following  image:

1.png

When  i stop dragging most of the time the content updates itself completely,  sometimes various display errors are still shown, as you can see in the  following image:

2.png

My Setup:

-------

Host:  Windows 7

Guest: Linux Mint 12 (Ubuntu)

Accelerate 3D enabled

vmawaretool  installed

vmware workstation version 8.0.1

guest was installed with version 8.0

Sme issue with ubuntu 11.10

When i install ubuntu 11.04 with gnome 2... almost no errors!

Is this a known bug?

Thanks, jepse

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kdshapiro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have Windows 7 as the host and downloaded the mint virtual appliance. I am not seeing the issues you describe. Window movement is fluid and looks as what you would expect Windows 7 to look like if the "show contents while dragging" option was selected.

0 Kudos
mindenhallm
Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing this issue with window dragging and resizing, with an identical configuration:

Workstation 8.01 on Windows 7 host

Linux Mint 12 guest

3D acceleration enabled

8.x guest compatibility

vmwaretools installed (latest)

As a workaround, I set Gnome to hide window contents while dragging per instructions here.  Note that you may first have to install gconf-editor via apt-get or Software Manager.

0 Kudos
dadama
Contributor
Contributor

Inetersting, I have the same problem with Linux Mint 12 on my Mac Pro QuadCore 3.2 with VMware Fusion 4. I also have the same problem with XUbuntu (11.10).

I can't replicate it on Ubuntu (11.10) or kUbuntu (11.10).

It's annoying enough that I may have to stick with Ubuntu 11.10....

Update: Selecting "Use Gnome compositing"  resolved the issue under: Preferences/Desktop/Windows.

0 Kudos
rneedham88
Contributor
Contributor

Im also experiencing this issue. I could minimize the window and reopen it and the lines go away, but its just annoying to see this going on.

Is there any solid fix out there?

Im running LinuxMint 12 on a Windows 7 host

Im wondering if it has to do with the Linux kernel. Ive noticed Workstation 8.0* only supports up to kernel 2.6*

LinuxMint 12 apparently used the 3.0 Kernel.

0 Kudos
mindenhallm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rneedham88,

I'm also running LM12 on a Windows 7 host.  In the post above yours, dadama mentioned that selecting "Use Gnome Compositing" worked.  However, I don't have the Preferences/Desktop/Windows menu, because I'm running in fallback mode.  From what I have been able to tell, LM12 will only run in fallback mode as a Windows 7 guest due to VMware's incomplete support for OpenGL.  So assuming you're also in fallback mode (easiest way to tell is if you have "Applications" and "Places" menus on top left), the following should work:

1. Open gconf-editor ("sudo apt-get install gconf-editor" if not already installed)
  2. Navigate to /apps/metacity/general
  3. Select the checkbox for "compositing_manager"

You should see the screen flash, and now you can drag windows around at full speed!

0 Kudos
dadama
Contributor
Contributor

Switching to Parallels 7 also did the trick.

0 Kudos
rneedham88
Contributor
Contributor

great.. now it works.

0 Kudos