VMware Communities
davidstampe
Contributor
Contributor

Restricting host network access but allowing guest full access

Hi !

I have read all i could about restricting zones in the manual, and on this community. I want to restrict the host so the host wont get any access to the network but only the guest, we deploy the package on pocket ace´s so when i plug in a pocket ace, i want the host to loose all access to the network and only the pocket ace would have access. all this must be done without having to go in and disable anything in the network properties on the host manually.

Is this in anyway possible? because everytime i found a post about this subject every answer was the same, "disable everything except vmware bridge protocol" ..

And i tryed to restrict the host in the policies list, but either the guest wont access anything and the host just keeps on having access, or both have full access.

Thanks in advance ! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

What is your host OS?

0 Kudos
davidstampe
Contributor
Contributor

sorry Smiley Happy they are both running xp with sp2

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Is your guest having bridged NIC or NAT?

0 Kudos
davidstampe
Contributor
Contributor

it is running bridge NIC

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

So if you go to host XP and get to "Local Area Connection" properties, you would normally see:

"Client for Microsoft Networks"

"File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"

"Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

"VMware Bridge Protocol"

What happens when you remove checks from all of the above, except the last one?

Can your guest still have network access?

davidstampe
Contributor
Contributor

well, this was what i wanted not to do. i was looking for a way around that so it should be done manually. So i could give a pocket ace to a sales man in the company ect. and he could go to china, plug it in some computer and when he does that, the network on the host pc wont be able to access the internet, but the guest / pocket ace would still have full access.

0 Kudos