VMware Communities
Markiee77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to allocate memory or additional processors in an image file in Workstation 10

Hi all.  I have a workstation image originally created on AWS (Amazon) and exported to a VMWare image.  I'm using the latest Workstation 10.0.0.7 and cannot change the allocated memory (or # of processors) for the image.  I've tried this on 2 machines and the allocated memory won't change from 2gb and a single processor.  One machine is an MS Surface 3 Pro with 8gb running Windows 8.1, the other is a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with 16gb also running Win 8.1.  The settings are grayed out so I can't type in or use the slider in either direction.

Can anyone help?  The image runs slow with only 2gb allocated, of course, to the point that's it's unacceptable.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Changing the values for RAM and CPU has to be done when the VM is powered off, not suspended.

If you cant change those values even with the VM powered off - try to change the vmx-file directly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Changing the values for RAM and CPU has to be done when the VM is powered off, not suspended.

If you cant change those values even with the VM powered off - try to change the vmx-file directly.

0 Kudos
Markiee77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you VERY much.  On the money - turned off the image and all is good!

0 Kudos