VMware Communities
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to install workstation 7 on OpenSuSE 11.2

Kernel headers for version 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop were not found.

A dialog to find them is presented.

I have kernel-source installed and there is a kernel.h present in /usr/src/linux.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Solved.

Put /usr/src/linux/include as the path to the kernel headers.

0 Kudos
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have same problem with same kernel, but Workstation 6.5.3 instead. It is Open SuSE 11.2 and my kernel source is also installed.

But I can not build modules still, can not point to the correct headers :_| Smiley Sad

u.y.

u.y.
0 Kudos
rneilson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem immediately after upgrading to Opensuse 11.2. It turns out that, due to some changes on file locations, you need the -devel package of whichever kernel you're running in order to compile the modules. So, if you have kernel-default installed, you'll need to install kernel-default-devel (same principle applies if you're running the new kernel-desktop - you'll need kernel-desktop-devel).

Quick-and-dirty (run as root) (assuming you have kernel-default):

zypper in kernel-default-devel

Then:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

0 Kudos
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My kernel is the desktop version I did installed these devel packages before posting msg here. It created additional headers folders but I have still got the same problem.

but this worked to do the builds, however the usual automatic building function during the workstation's start will not work:

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

u.y.

u.y.
0 Kudos