VMware Communities
kjaslow
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from Workstation 7 to 10??

Hi, all.  Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask my question.  This is a sales/pricing question.  I've tried searching for an answer, or any way to communicate with VMware directly, to no avail.  I'm on Workstation 7.1.6 and need to use features of Workstation 10.  So, I'm looking at whether I qualify for any upgrade prices.  It appears that the website will happily sell me an upgrade, regardless of whether it will actually work as an upgrade or not.  I'd prefer to save the $100 difference between the upgrade price and the new product purchase price.  Can anyone comment on whether I can apply an upgrade to my 7.1.6 purchase rather than making a new purchase outright?

Thanks.

10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you'd go to logical path of http://www.vmware.com > Store > Upgrades > Upgrade to Workstation 10 you'd see that the oldest version of VMware Workstation that qualifies for the upgrade pricing is 8.x (as shown in the image below)! Smiley Wink

(Click image to enlarge.)

Upgrade_to_Workstation_10.png

0 Kudos
j0nezn
Contributor
Contributor

Well I am having the same issue:smileyangry:, VMWARE is apparently horrible to work with, To bad my company has decided to use them. The workstation I have is a personal copy, i bought 7 2 years ago,

oldgrey
Contributor
Contributor

Why is there no upgrade from 7.0? I've been a vmware customer since 2007 and I'm shareholder too. I guess VMWare no longer wants my business.

0 Kudos
dcsmith2010
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same boat with 7.1.6.  I realize VMware Workstation is "small potatoes", but we're still customers.  I called my regional rep and had to leave VM.  No response.

I demo'ed v7 to a neighbor who runs a consulting business.  He will be buying a full version of Workstation 10.  I only wish I could save a few bucks & upgrade from 7 to 10.

0 Kudos
JimLo2
Contributor
Contributor

Seems to me there are two questions here.

1.  Is it possible technically to upgrade from 7.1.6 to 10?

2.  What is the cost of the upgrade?   Is it full price? 

I note that the web site shows momentarily another page for the upgrade to 10 which seems to list various other versions (it doesn't stay long enough to read it!).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1.  Is it possible technically to upgrade from 7.1.6 to 10?

In a manner of speaking, Yes!

2.  What is the cost of the upgrade?   Is it full price?

$249 USD, Yes.

I note that the web site shows momentarily another page for the upgrade to 10 which seems to list various other versions (it doesn't stay long enough to read it!).

Yes the initial image shown only states the price for full and upgrade however if you click Upgrade (under the $119.00) you be taken to a page as shown in the screenshot I posted, the first reply in this thread, to the OP which shows the oldest version one can upgrade from with upgrade pricing is 8.x! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
UnitUniverse2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i'm a little worried about if it's possible to upgrade to the newer version than 10, when and after the April of this year comes... Currently i have bought a license for my workstation 9. I've tried ver.10 for days and decide to wait for some time.

0 Kudos
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no upgrade option for 7x.

you can see the details in this KB.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203285...

I have VMware Workstation 1.x – 7.x. Can I purchase VMware 10 at an upgrade discount?

There is no upgrade option for VMware Workstation 1.x – 7.x. You can purchase a full license from the Online Store.

0 Kudos
Biomehanika
Contributor
Contributor

I´m currently in the same boat. However i found the following:

In honor of 15 great years of VMware Workstation we are celebrating with a special upgrade promotion for Workstation 8 and 9 customers* — and for a limited time Workstation 7 customers. Upgrade to VMware Workstation 10 and get 30% off our regular upgrade price.
Offer expires on July 25th 2014 at 11:59 PM (PT).

See:

15 Year Anniversary Upgrade Promotion | VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware Blogs

Maybe this is the solution for you as well ;-).

0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

This will give you clear idea about up gradation and licensing cost.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203285...

0 Kudos