VMware Communities
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading host to Windows 8 Release Preview

Hi All,

Just upgraded my Windows 7 host to Windows 8 release preview and none of my VMs can resume. Where can I find any info on this issue?

Thanks,

Alberto

0 Kudos
27 Replies
vignesh_11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Maybe the problem with your .iso file. where you download the iso file?

(OR)

Delete the current Virtual Machine and create a new virtual machine then install your windows 8 consumer preview OS.

Then sure it will work.

-vicky

0 Kudos
zedubal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI,

I was able to work around it by doing these things:

Upgraded to VMware Workstation 7.1.6

In Edit -> Preferences -> Memory select Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM and set the slider to 4G.

Run VMware as elevated process (Right click run as Administrator)

Now I'm able to start the VM.  I haven't bothered trying to isolate which of the above resolved the issue...

0 Kudos
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

zedubal, the installer is unable to un-install VMWare 7.1.5 . Did it happen also on your side?

I have even tried to uninstall via Windows 8 control panel without success.

0 Kudos
zedubal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm... yes, I had some trouble upgrading.  I think I had to force close all of the VMware processes and then the upgrade would continue.  Otherwise it kept saying that I had some virtual machines running.

0 Kudos
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nothing to do. I cannot even uninstall. Here is the error message...

---------------------------
VMware-workstation-7.1.6-744570
Bad Arguments for  :C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\Uninstaller\uninstall.exe
OK  

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hmm.  Becaus eth eerror seems to be in .../Program Data I would tryto see if you can use an uninstaller like revouninstaller to remove Ws.  This most like won't work since the program run the native uninstaller first  - but its worth a try.  You might also look inside Program Data (as admin) and perhap deltete VMware direcoty there.  I haven't  the later  myself so use at your own risk  Maybe a restore point before tryin ghese things.

0 Kudos
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll give up, never use VMWare Workstation again on this machine until a compatible version will be release.

0 Kudos
Youtub
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The simple answer is:

Properties > Compatibility > Run this program as an administrator

0 Kudos