VMware Communities
mskou02
Contributor
Contributor

VM creation issue

I'm trying to create a new VM in VMware Workstation 17 from windows.iso and I set maximum disk size to be 60GB (recommended as I'm using a windows 10 x64). But I'm getting the following error when trying to create the new VM, what are the steps to solve it: 

"The current amount of free space on the hard disk (3.7 GB) is not enough to create the specified disk file. Please choose a different location or specify a smaller disk size."

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sounds like you are trying to create the windows install in the ISO? Is it actually a USB thumb drive attached to the VM? Do you see other installation disk options in the install?
0 Kudos
mskou02
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm trying to create the VM from Windows.iso file. There's also an option to install from installer disc (I've attached a screenshot of it in the message)

0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you show a screen shot of the VM configuration, as it looks like the installer is just seeing the .iso as a disk....
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

When you run the installation, you need to choose the disk where you will install the Win 10 but you must first do a partition on it and then  format it and choose the actual formatted disk as the destination disk. Otherwise it will try to install on any place that will find and where isnt enough place.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
mskou02
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've attached screenshots of the VM settings and the error I'm getting

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do tou have this error immediately when you create the VM or when you run it an then the installer starts? While this looks like your Workstation app will tell you that you dont have enough space on the C:\ drive where you try to create the VM. Maybe try to have it as Thin provisioned which will save you more space on your C:\ drive or completely relocate the VM to another disk.
Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you not have space on your host machine? i.e. where workstation is creating these VMs, do you have the space for this new 60GB disk?
0 Kudos
mskou02
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I see, what are the steps to have a thin provisioned on C:\ before creating a VM? like I'm not even able to create a VM in the first place

0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Even a thin provisioned disk will need some room. How much capacity have you left on the c drive, less than 4gb?
0 Kudos