VMware Communities
Delusion
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation, VM, Switched off, Now tmp

Hello fellow VMWare Experts.

I am fairly new to the Virtual world and have only recently began my virtual adventure.

Question:

Recently I created a new virtual.  Everything was configured.  I powered down.  Now contained within the folder where my virtual machine resides is a tmp file which is slightly over 7 GIG, guessing the file became corrupt upon shutting down the slice. A backup/snapshot hasnt been created - Lesson learnt.

Have tried renaming the file to .vmdk

Have tried renaming the .lck folder

None of the above mentioned changes reolved my issue.

When i attempt to power on the slice.  I receive the following error:

File not found: BackTrack Custom.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine.  If this file was moved, please provide its new location.

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Delusion
Contributor
Contributor

Got itchy and rebuilt the slice.  Would still be interested in finding out a solution.  If anyone is aware of one.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Delusion wrote: Got itchy and rebuilt the slice.

What are you talking about, what is a slice?  A slice of pizza? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Delusion
Contributor
Contributor

Ha.  Wish it was.  A Slice as in a slice of data used to create a virtual machine within VMWare Workstation.  Sorry work terminology thought it was common ground.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry but your definition still doesn't make sense and the only place the word slice appears in the Workstation documentation is if you take space out of "Windows licensing" while deleting "Window" and "nsing". Smiley Happy

To me a silce of anything is less then the whole so with that in mind...

The object created by VMware Workstation is a Virtual Machine and the primary but not the only way is to install the Guest OS in the VM followed by OS updates and Applications and Application updates, etc.  Now of course there are other ways to create VM's, and again not limited to, using Raw Disks or P2V to name a couple so I'm curious what/which method you're referring to?

0 Kudos
Delusion
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like you are trying to overcomlicate matters.  Or perhaps I havent explained myself clearly as essential all data existed from RAW data.  Effectively in this instance i have used VMWare Workstation and as you say have created a virtual machine from P2V, installed VMWare tools and all of applications necessary.

My question to the community is simply has anyone stumbled across the above mentioned issue previously.  I am happy to provide any additional information if that is required.

I have replicated my previous setup incorporting snapshots to prevent any future misshaps.  I am merely curious as to if this is recoverable for future reference.  I have searched around google and the boards and am unable to find a solution.  Although I envisage it being quite a common issue.  Perhaps an unrecoverable one.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I was not trying to over complicate anything and truly was just trying to figure out what you were talking about in order to help you.  I mean nothing ill by this and have been doing this for a very long time however it's feels a little like pulling teeth having tried to get a clear picture of your situation.  It's just so much easier when Users provide explicit and specific information along with .log files in order to have a clear enough picture to provide real time on point solutions to ones technical issues.  Believe me when I say if I was sitting right in front of your computer I would not need any input from you to see what is what or what went wrong or how to fix it however unfortunately that's not the case when trying to help someone through forums.  Sorry to have wasted both our time and hopefully some others will try and help.

0 Kudos