VMware Communities
SyamK
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare workstation is not starting

Hi All,

Problem: When i opened VMWare Workstation, it is opened and when i click on "Powen on this virtual machine" to open. But here it is not opening and showing error message as below.

The virtual machine could not start. Make sure VMware Workstation is installed correctly and you have rights to run the software and to access all directories it uses, including directories in which the software is installed, directories containing the virtual disk and configuration files, and directories for temporary files

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am using VMWare 8.0.0 build-471780 from short period. It was working fine for 2 months and 3 days back i installed antivirus and removed some infected files (related to VMWare files also) and after that i am getting above error message.

Could you pleas suggest how to get the missed files or what steps need to do to make it work properly instead of installing a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Syam.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

VMware files have no viruses.  Suggest you try to rerun the binary and choose the repair option.  You might want to report a false positive to the AV vendor.

0 Kudos
SyamK
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am new to this VMWare, i am not aware of how to rerun the binary.

Could you please let me know where this binary file is located and how to rerun, pls also sugges how to choose repair option.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

I would recommend you to uninstall and install it again using the latest build of workstation

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws80/doc/releasenotes_workstation_804.html

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I'm referring to the same .exe you used to install the product in the first place.

VMware-workstation-full-9.0.1-894247.exe

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Martin Felker wrote:

I'm referring to the same .exe you used to install the product in the first place.

VMware-workstation-full-9.0.1-894247.exe

The OP states it is version 8.0.0 build-471780 that is being used, so the .exe you show is not the correct one.

Also I've see some AV software remove/repair a .vmdk file and until we see a directory listing of the VM and the vmware.log files it's probably a moot issue especially if the user doesn't have a proper backup of the VM.  Although it certainly can't hurt to uninstall/reinstall the version that was being used.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

ust echoinig the advice from avanish321  (which I happen to think is good - unless the  OP wished to keep\l version 8 in which case he should upgrade to the  latest version of 8.x which he can find from your previous links to the  VMware repository)

I actually thought about this later  and I suppose a virus could attack and corrupt VMware files including  files in the VM's directory (including I guess the .vmdk and teh .vmx  files).  If he trusts the AV program to not report and delete false  positives then he should re-install either his current version or WS 9.0.1 to restore any files delted by the AV program.  I'm trusting the default installation program to uninstall the old version and/or reinstall WS,  I think VMware has got it right now.

0 Kudos