VMware Communities
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 7 - guest can not connect to host computer

My problem is compounded by the fact that I have upgraded to VMware 7 and added several virtual Win7 64 virtual machines at the same time so I don't know what (or which) is causing the problem.

I have 2 host computers running WinXP 64 and VMware 7. Firewalls are off on all computers, real and virtual, and antivirus software disabled to facilitate debugging.

I can "see" Host A listed in my network of machines but I can not connect any virtual machine (Win XP 64 or Windows 7 64 ) to drives or folders in Host A. Virtual machines of all flavors in Host B (as can Host B itself) can connect to drives and folders in either Host A or B computers.

I am really confused as this is a new problem in a network that has otherwise worked without issue for a long time.

Thanks

k

0 Kudos
33 Replies
vince100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This bug still isn't fixed in version 7.0.1 build-227600.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This bug still isn't fixed in version 7.0.1 build-227600.

I see there are updated drivers for at least some of RealTek's cards at:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=6&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID...

0 Kudos
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone able to connect to the Realtek site? I keep getting a server settings error..

Much appreciate if anyone can tell me if the is a new driver for my Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC.

Thanks in advance

k

0 Kudos
tdk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

depends on what "new" means to you Smiley Wink

for Vista x64 the current version is 6.230.1218.2009 from Dec 18 2009.

But for me, this version didn't solve the problem in 7.0, I haven't tried it in 7.0.1

Host System: VMWare Workstation 7.0.1 on Dell E521: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Vista Business x64

Host System: VMWare Workstation 7.0.1 on Dell E521: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Vista Business x64
0 Kudos
ajfowler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been running 6.5 for 5 years, with VMs of every OS (10+ differing configurations). Upgraded to Windows 7 64Bit to take advantage of the additional memmory allocation.

This broke all my VMs, cost me 3 days work, The only way i could resolve is rebuild using vista 32Bit and revert to VM version 6.5 which instantly fixed up the issue.

When Bridged IP address could be obtained, but no Internet (Using IE).

No other change from V6.5 and instantly fixed upon rebuild.

0 Kudos
ajfowler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.5 and previous versions that is.

0 Kudos
ajfowler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any update to this?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Any update to this?

I'm not clear if your post is for a new problem, or simply confirming that for some NIC cards it is necessary to disabled some "offload" settings in order for Guest networking to work? If the latter, the current "update" is to either disable the offload setting or purchase a better quality NIC card. Intel Pro1000 GT cards can be found for $30.

If I understand your post correctly you have already rebuilt your computer, so would not be able to do any troubleshooting to try and fix the problem you were experiencing?

If this is a current problem that is not fixed by the workaround suggested earlier in this thread, I would suggest creating a new Forum Post so that it gets more visibility (some members filter out "answered" questions when browsing this forum).

0 Kudos
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Scissor,

IMHO; I don't think that the solution to this issue is to cavalierly suggest people go out and buy new hardware. This is a issue with VMware Workstation 7, not the hardware it services. I say this with conviction as version 6 worked with the "problematic" hardware.

I for one though, would be satisfied if VMware would officially indicate that they will not support XYZ hardware (doesn't matter why) for v7. In the meanwhile I am left with hoping that there is some official resolution to the problem (at 30$ it is not the money it's the principal).

Regards

k

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I for one though, would be satisfied if VMware would officially indicate that they will not support XYZ hardware (doesn't matter why) for v7.

Here you go: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015940

0 Kudos
tdk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I still have this problem after hibernating the host or the guest!

I disabled all the offload settings in my Realtek PCI driver but I still loose the connectivity from the guest to the host/internet and vica-versa after the host or the guest went into hibernation and a brought back again.

The only way to get it to work again I found, is to pwer-cycle the host (which is quite a nuisance).

Thomas

Host System: VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 on Dell E521: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Vista Business x64

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I for one though, would be satisfied if VMware would officially indicate that they will not support XYZ hardware (doesn't matter why) for v7.

Here you go: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015940

Found a thread about the same workaround that includes replies by VMware Employees. Looks like they know about the problem and plan to include the fix for it in a future "point" release (something like 7.1, not 7.0.2). look for the posts by gasmith on Nov 6, 2009 4:00 PM and on Feb 12, 2010 2:52 PM : http://communities.vmware.com/message/1411402

0 Kudos
rtayne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks Scissor for the information regarding this problem.

Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Robert

0 Kudos
vince100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After six long months, VMware has finally fixed this highly profiled bug in version 7.1.0 build-261024.

It is obviously not Realtek's fault, after all.

0 Kudos