VMware Communities
haarp_net
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 8 SERIALNUMBER property doesn't work

Hello,

I've used to install WS7 using a command line like this:

VMware Workstation.msi" /qb! /norestart ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 USERNAME="xxx" COMPANYNAME="xxx" SERIALNUMBER="xxxx"

Now, SERIALNUMBER was dropped from msi Property table.

Is possible to have a solution for this other than import registration from reg file ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wemgadge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue has a lot of visibility with the devs and we are working on implementing this correctly in Workstation.  For 8.0.1 users are able to configure shortcuts, hostd port, serial key, and persist/remove workstation settings through the command line but we still have more work to do.  Some parameters still don't work and aren't passed through. Currently INSTALLDIR and all the REMOVE functionality doesn't work.

But, you can indeed install w/ serial number in the silent install now starting with Workstation 8.0.1.

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.1-528992.exe /s /v SERIALNUMBER="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" works when you run it from an elevated command prompt.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Due to dependencies, it is not recommended to run the .msi with VMware Workstation 8. Instead run the unattended installation as documented in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws80-getting-started.pdf (page 18 ff) This shoud allow you to provide the SERIALNUMBER property.

André

0 Kudos
haarp_net
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for the tip, but didn't work. I've tried this command line:

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /s /v " /qb! /norestart ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 SERIALNUMBER="xxxx""

but SERIALNUMBER property doesn't work.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There might be a mismatch with the quotes.

Either try

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /s /v " /qb! /norestart ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 SERIALNUMBER=xxxx"

or

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /s /v " /qb! /norestart ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 SERIALNUMBER=""xxxx"""

André

0 Kudos
wemgadge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The proper format would be: VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /s /v "/qb! /norestart ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 SERIALNUMBER="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"" note the 2 quotes at the end.

0 Kudos
haarp_net
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, but none of these commands works for registration with serial number.

0 Kudos
wemgadge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm not sure why this format was not working for you. I tested this format on my lab system.  When running the command from the cmd prompt as an administrator, the installation ran silently and successfully.  My lab system was not previously licensed (it's a lab machine here in the office running Windows 7 professional).

0 Kudos
wemgadge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also note that register dialog box linking you to VMware.com has nothing to do with the serial number.  Also, the gui has no indicator of what serial number is installed, just that the product is licensed with "no expiry".

0 Kudos
haarp_net
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Registration can be tested only when you power on a virtual machine. If Vmware is not registred, a window will popup asking you to provide the key.

If registered, you can find the serial number in registry here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation\License.ws.8.0.e2.201010]

"Serial"="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

0 Kudos
NetZwerg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

He's right. I also tested this.

First I checked with a known working command line for WS7 - doesn't work.

Then I checked the suggestion with the double quote - doesn't work. In the log you see why: My Properties are REBOOT=ReallySuppress SERIALNUMBER=<serial> - with the double quote it gets mangled to

REBOOT=ReallySuppress SERIALNUMBER

If I try without quotes or fully quoted (every string) then the logs show the Serialnumber getting picked up right. This cmdline:

"ws8-installer.exe" /s /z "start_reboot"="0" "autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled"="0" "dataCollectionEnabled"="0" /log c:\vmwareinstall.log /v REBOOT=ReallySuppress SERIALNUMBER=%VMWARE8SERIAL%

will result in log lines like this:

20111021160446:INFO    CMSIHelper::InitMsiParameters: MSI Parameters: REBOOT="ReallySuppress" SERIALNUMBER="*my serialno*" DATACOLLECTION="0" TRANSFORMS=":1033" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\" REMOVE="VisualStudio,Keyboard" HOSTD_HTTPS_PORT="443" DATASTORE_PATH="C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines" VIX_DIR="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VIX\" REBOOT="ReallySuppress" COMPONENTDOWNLOAD="1" DESKTOP_SHORTCUT="1" QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT="1" AUTOSOFTWAREUPDATE="0" ADDLOCAL="ALL" STARTMENU_SHORTCUT="1"

So yes, the serial number is in the MSI parameters. The vmware.workstation.msi.install.log shows it too:

MSI (s) (9C:18) [16:04:47:139]: Command Line: REBOOT=ReallySuppress SERIALNUMBER=*my serialno* DATACOLLECTION=0 TRANSFORMS=:1033 INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\ REMOVE=VisualStudio,Keyboard HOSTD_HTTPS_PORT=443 DATASTORE_PATH=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines VIX_DIR=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VIX\ REBOOT=ReallySuppress COMPONENTDOWNLOAD=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=1 AUTOSOFTWAREUPDATE=0 ADDLOCAL=ALL STARTMENU_SHORTCUT=1 CURRENTDIRECTORY=C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\Temp CLIENTUILEVEL=3 MSICLIENTUSESEXTERNALUI=1 CLIENTPROCESSID=652

Actually the Serialnumber gets passed to any MSI in the installation package. Unfortunately I have no idea where to look in the log if the Serial was picked up correctly (and where to look for errors). A simple search for "serial" didn't bring helpful results other than the function CNeedValidLicenseOperation::ExecuteLicenseCheck returned [2]...

0 Kudos
chrisgray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Short of pushing out a registry key separate from the installer, has there been any fixes to this problem?  I'm running into the same issue, and from what it looks like here, there's been no resolution to this problem, which is in v8.0.1 as well.

0 Kudos
wemgadge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue has a lot of visibility with the devs and we are working on implementing this correctly in Workstation.  For 8.0.1 users are able to configure shortcuts, hostd port, serial key, and persist/remove workstation settings through the command line but we still have more work to do.  Some parameters still don't work and aren't passed through. Currently INSTALLDIR and all the REMOVE functionality doesn't work.

But, you can indeed install w/ serial number in the silent install now starting with Workstation 8.0.1.

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.1-528992.exe /s /v SERIALNUMBER="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" works when you run it from an elevated command prompt.

0 Kudos
chrisgray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the update.

I tried your suggested installation string and it did work for me in getting the serial number seeded into the automated install.

A future suggestion, is that the documentation should include have some better sytax examples for the installer.  There's no mention of quotes in the installer documentation, and previous versions where the msi was just used, no quotes were necessary.

Again, thank you.

0 Kudos
haarp_net
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for fixing the issue with SERIALNUMBER property.

A working command line:

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.1-528992.exe /s /nsr /v ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 SERIALNUMBER="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

0 Kudos