VMware Communities
leosenko
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation under Debian Bookworm

After upgrading to Debian Bookworm with kernel 6.1.0, Workstation 16 no longer worked. I upgraded to 17. But Windows 10 guests started freezing for about 10-20 seconds after every few clicks of mouse, during this period there is not display update so even trying to figure out if there is some specific process issue or interrupts does not work. I reverted workstation back to 16.2.5 and used the modules from https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules to make the 16 work with the 6 kernel. It did not help. I then copied almost identical VM that is running in Fusion to the Debian and ran it. The same issue. Also in the meantime, while the vm is frozen, linux report full usage by the vmware (by which i mean out of assigned cpus) but the linux machine works fine and there does not seem to be any extreme disk activity or lack of memory during that moment.

I converted VM machine to OVF and imported into VirtualBox 7, after some work to remove all remnants of vmware tools, the virtual machine works like flash under VirtualBox. I am tempted to conclude that this is an issue of VMware workstation.

Does anyone have similar issues on Debian or kernel 6?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Charles
Contributor
Contributor

I know it's >3mos later, but...

is kcompactd0 running 100% when it happens?

0 Kudos