VMware Communities
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation 17.0.2/17.05 Error while copying no such file or directory

Hey everyone I have installed VMWARE Workstation 17.0.2 and 17.0.5

I have been having issues with the Clipboard sharing when it comes to file sharing

I have installed open-vm-tools latest version

typed in sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop

it installed but it didnt work I Installed it again

still didnt work

ADDED NON FREE REPOSITORY

typed in sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop/bookworm-backports 12.30 version of open-vm-tools

doesnt work still

I dont want to use any third party sharing for files OR shared folders

Anyone have an idea on whats causing it?

but this is the error message in the pictures below

Host kernal is 6.1.0-13

I even went back and tried 5.10.26 did not work

I saw on github that it was gonna be fixed on the current release 17.0.5 but i heard this issue hasnt been resolved since 2020. Is it the kernal settings or the host modules vmmon vmnet causing the issue or a permission issue to diagnose the issue where is the log file located

0 Kudos
8 Replies
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

it really is kind for 40 people to see this and not say anything

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Please realize that 99% of the people here are users just like yourself.  And if nobody has encountered the issue, they may not have any things for you to try.

abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

this was posted at 10:00pm and no response

0 Kudos
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

how sure are you that im the only one having the issue go on github /open-vm-tools/issues/587

theres a whole page of issues the EXACT same issue since 2020 I know 100% its been years that this issue persists to this day

there has been forums here that been UNANSWERED for years

0 Kudos
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

least you can be some help and tell me where the log file is stored so i can show whats going on I cant wait on another man or women to fix something that simple of a problem i fix it myself OKAY

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As already stated this is a user forum, I expect most people contribute in their own spare time.

When you say 17.0.5 do you mean the new 17.5.0 release?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

yes

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@abrahamlrouse Please logout and on the login screen,go to Settings icon, select xoorg or x11 mode then login then launch WS and try again

0 Kudos