MarkRRR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 64 bit on 32 bit machine...

Hello,

VMWare version 7.0.1 build-227600

Can I install Windows 7 64 bit in a virtual machine and run VMWare

player on a 32 bit machine using the W7 64 bit virtual machine?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not the OS which has to be 64-bit, it's the CPU. In order to be able to run a 64-bit OS as a guest, you need to have Intel VT or AMD-V enabled in the BIOS.

VT-x is required for 64-bit guests on Intel processors, but AMD-V is not required for 64-bit guests on AMD processors. See KB 1003945.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jlransford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't know whether or not player will work, but I know Workstation will not work. The host on which VMWare is installed must be running a 64-bit OS if you are going to create 64-bit VM's.

You can, however, create 32-bit VM's on a 64-bit host.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... The host on which VMWare is installed must be running a 64-bit OS if you are going to create 64-bit VM's....

It's not the OS which has to be 64-bit, it's the CPU. In order to be able to run a 64-bit OS as a guest, you need to have Intel VT or AMD-V enabled in the BIOS.

André

0 Kudos
jlransford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, correct you are. I was a bit superficial in my answer. But it begs the question, if you've got a 64-bit processor you probably have it to have lots of memory to run several VM's on the host. In order to address all that memory, you've got to run a 64-bit OS. And the processor capabilites are also correct and an important point to know when thinking about 64-bit VM's.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VT-x is required for 64-bit guests on Intel processors, but AMD-V is not required for 64-bit guests on AMD processors. See KB 1003945.

0 Kudos
MarkRRR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

After burning the disc and running the program I was happy to see the laptop had AMD 64 bit Mobile and could run a 64 bit OS.

Thank for the responses,

Mark

0 Kudos