VMware Communities
blnichols
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Beta & vmware tools

I downloaded and succesfully installed windows 7 beta in a VM over the weekend. When I went to install vmware tools, the vm crashed and had to be restored. Has anyone else seen this occur? I suspect the video portion of vmware tools however I havent had a chance to fully troubleshoot the issue.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
stemplar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue, both for the 32 bit and 64 bit edition running on ESX 3.5.0 163429. VMtools 158874 (Jan 09). Vista as Guest OS Type.

The only ways I got around, was to completely uninstall the VMtools, reboot twice and reinstall them without the SVGA driver.

For ESX 4, Windows 7 is now mentioned in . But also for ESX4, the SVGA driver shall not be installed.

The removal of the SVGA driver only (without a complete removal) did not solve the startup locks for me.

-Simon

0 Kudos
Orionar
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 apparently will not load unsigned drivers and that causes the VMtools USB drivers to not load. That may be what is also affecting the video drivers. It would be nice if all of the VMtools drivers were already signed, so that we would not have this issue.

0 Kudos
fletch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Old thread with no solution? Is there a new vmware tools for vSphere that is windows 7 compatible?

I need vmware tools in my windows 7 VM to use it with Panologics DAS

This is a show stopper for rolling out windows 7 virtual desktops to clients

thanks

VCP

VCP5 VSP5 VTSP5 vExpert http://vmadmin.info
0 Kudos
fletch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101170...

as documented a couple weeks ago in this KB

Do a custom VMwaretools install where you deselect (or X out the SVGA driver install)

VCP

VCP5 VSP5 VTSP5 vExpert http://vmadmin.info
0 Kudos
Worlder
Contributor
Contributor

On the new Workstation VMware 7:

I meet also issue about the installation of the new driver video called "VMware SVGA 3D" inside guest VM Vista 32, i need to have 3D functions activated in VM Windows Vista 32 platform.

I tried on several hosts:

• Destop tower i7 Quad Cores + Host Windows XP 32 bits + VM Vista 32, when the video driver VMware SVGA 3D is installed, i got BSOD when i boot VM, if i install standard video driver, boot VM ok but no 3D functions.

• Destop tower i7 Quad Cores + Host Windows 7 64 bits + VM Vista 32, when the video VMware SVGA 3D is installed, i got BSOD when i boot VM, if i install standard video driver, boot VM ok but no 3D functions.

- Laptop Dual Cores + Host Windows 7 32 bits + VM Vista 32, when the video

VMware SVGA 3D is installed, boot VM ok with 3D function.

This issue sound's come from the driver of the video graphic board installed on the host, because on my laptop all run perfect, but on my destop computer impossible to install the 3D driver in the VM.

The problem is, i absolutely need to run VM Vista 32 on my destop computer to have the benefits of more powerful gived by the quad cores i7 + 6 GO ram etc...

I have Nvidia Graphic Card GTX 285, may be this issue come from the driver Nvidia? I dont know...

I tried also to desactivate material Usb same issue, systematic BSOD, if somebody here can help, it will be great ?:|

0 Kudos