VMware Communities
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows Host GUI improvement request

Just noticed this weird GUI setting. If you start VMware Workstation with Windows 7 as a 'normal' user and select Edit/Preferences there are parts, like the Memory section where you see a hint that you need more rights to change them. Fine.

Where's the  button with the shield which asks for elevated rights? This must be a missing feature for Windows 2008/Vista and Windows 2008R2/Windows 7 hosts. Even several linux versions today have a mechanism to request elevated rights so that you don't need to login with a different user or in this case run the whole VMware Workstation program as administrator.

Attached is the Preferences picture as well as an example from Microsoft with a shielded button to ask for more rights.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah, we meant to do that, but we ran out of time. Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this request makes sense to me
+1

mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We know that this message is less than ideal, especially since the Shared VMs options page does have a button to elevate.  This bug is being tracked by us, so it's under consideration for the future.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

James Lin wrote:

I hope that several years after Windows Vista ( released 30. January 2007 ) and introduction of UAC and elevated rights your still working on this. This may sound rude but as much as I like VMware Workstation I had paid for the versions and I believe that proper handling of UAC and elevation should not be voodoo today. In 2007/2008 it may but not end 2011. Of course, my opinion Smiley Wink

0 Kudos