VMware Communities
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

accelerate 3d Graphics

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first time posting a question. I have a new Dell G15 Ryzen 7 edition with an RTX 4060 graphics card. I installed VMware Workstation and created a Kali Linux virtual machine with GNOME. It worked perfectly at first, but after updating Kali Linux and everything else, restarting, and enabling 3D acceleration, my Kali Linux stopped working properly. Now, I mostly see a black screen, and even if it does work by chance, it lags terribly.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
ggilson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Shell69,

Your host system, appears to be one of those laptops that have a iGPU + GPU combo, they usually come with an out of date graphics driver. This might be a host graphics driver bug  and updating your GPU drivers might resolve this, 

If that doesn't help, send a vmware.log of the vm running, and I can try to see if there's something I can spot.

Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i already update the Nvidia to the latest version i tried everything 

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can i take the log while running the virtual machine

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ggilson hi please reply

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 Ticket has been raised internally, relevant team will look into the same.

Unable to reproduce the issue on 13th Generation Raptor Lake with I7 processor machine with Windows 11 as Host, I was able to install Kali Linux(Kernel version-6.6.9) as Guest. Internally upgraded the Kali linux VM by using commands sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade,retsrtaed the VMs several times including Suspend/Resume, unable to reproduce the issue.
Kali Linux ISO downloaded from here-https://cdimage.kali.org/current/kali-linux-2024.1-installer-amd64.iso.

@Shell69 Once you reproduce this issue, please share support bundle here in this thread using below-

Help->Support->Collect Support Data

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 Apart from the above details I asked for, please share vmx file of the affected VM.

Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i am not getting it can you explain in detailed please

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 

To get Support bundle:

1) Select the VM where you are seeing this issue in Workstation.

2) Go to Menu,Help->Support->Collect Support Data.

3) Collect full support logs, once they are ready, please share them here.

To get the vmx file:

1) Select the VM where you are seeing this issue in Workstation.

2) Right click the VM in the library and click on Open VM Directory.

3) By default, vmx file will be selected by default with type "VMware virtual machine configuration", share that file as well in this thread.

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT Here you go check this is ok ??

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 vmx file looks fine.

Also as requested in previous comments, please share the support bundle using the steps I mentioned.

I believe by mistake you Marked this issue as Solved, you may have to revert it as the issue is still persisting on your setup

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i sent the wrong one my Bad i am sending you new to this thread 

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes by my mistake i market issue is resolved sorry is there any way i can share the video you understand better

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 You can share the video via direct download link or zip and attach the same here.

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes let do a screen recording or something it would take like 15 min because i never tried screen Recording 

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 Team will check the logs you provided and if required we will ask for video.

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While running the kali my mouse cursor lagg very bad like very bad and my Laptop start's lagging i have to wait like 1to2 min to get back to normal and i have to end task from the task manager

Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT look