VMware Communities
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

accelerate 3d Graphics

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first time posting a question. I have a new Dell G15 Ryzen 7 edition with an RTX 4060 graphics card. I installed VMware Workstation and created a Kali Linux virtual machine with GNOME. It worked perfectly at first, but after updating Kali Linux and everything else, restarting, and enabling 3D acceleration, my Kali Linux stopped working properly. Now, I mostly see a black screen, and even if it does work by chance, it lags terribly.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT Any update 

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 Will let you know once there is any update

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT OK Thank you so much for replying

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT Any Update it's been to long even i provided the video for information

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 Awaiting response from Team, will inform if there is any update

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok

0 Kudos
snop
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this, 3D rendering stopped working with the latest mesa 24, I tried 3 different distributions (Gentoo, Fedora GNOME/KDE) with different Mesa versions, and is everywhere the same.

Look eg. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1167102-highlight-vmware+kde.html

At first, I thought that it's a Gentoo packaging problem, but isn't. Yesterday I tried Fedora 39 KDE where is mesa 23.2.1 and it worked, then I tried Fedora 40 (beta) GNOME with mesa 24.0.1 and it completely froze VMware and I had to restart whole host system.

I also tried with different kernel versions from 6.6.x to 6.8.3 and it looks like the latest kernel makes it maybe a little less buggy, but it's practically the same, black screens, if you are lucky then after 10-20 seconds the desktop will be partially rendered, but it falls apart in seconds, like black or gray boxes, partially rendered windows and at the end it freezes anyway.

If you are lucky, your desktop renders and you open the terminal then eg. vblank_mode=0 glxgears and hitting enter do nothing for 1-2 seconds, there is some weird lag.

I also looked into the Xorg.0.log, /var/log/messages, and dmesg, but it looks normal, there are no errors, that is also weird that whole desktop crashes and there are no errors in logs.

Disabling 3D acceleration solves this problem, fortunately.

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you so much finally someone knows about the problem but when i disable the  accelerate 3d Graphics gnome works perfect but there is no animation nothing feels pretty awkward to use gnome without any animations @DhairyaT see people also facing the the same problem

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
snop
Contributor
Contributor

That is the current reality, we will need to wait for the fix, if the fix will not be in the next release then we will wait a long time 🫤

But there is also another problem, even if the 3D acceleration is disabled. I'm using vmware-kvm.exe and switching into/between the VM using the Pause/Break key. I've been using this functionality ~5 years and it always worked perfectly. But currently, sometimes happen that it only shows a black screen, it happens too often to be ignored.

I started VM now and it happened to me after 5 switch to VM (Pause/Break using vmware-kvm.exe) but the rate of how often this happens is ~ 1:20 or 1:50, so sometimes can happen that it shows the black screen only.

So there will be something wrong even if 3D rendering is disabled.

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I totally have been waiting for so long to get the solution, and I think that this problem has persisted for a very long time, around 5 to 6 months. Why hasn't the VMware team noticed this yet? 

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT how long does it going to take i think it's been 20 days up 

0 Kudos
snop
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation releases are around every 4-6 months, v17.5.1 was released on 27 FEB 2024 according to release notes v17.5.1 so the next release will be around July? That is plenty of time to fix it, but fixing problems like these is tricky, 3D rendering is no joke.

Another thing is that this bug is for the latest X versions and VMWare always supports a few releases back. There is always a fight between vmwgfx and the latest Xorg. Xorg doesn't care about vmwgfx and they are pushing changes even if they break vmwgfx and then vmware fixes it later then. This is how I perceive it, it may be a little different but that is how I see it personally.

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yeah you are totally right but i have one question why no one noticed there so discussion on reddit or not even in youtube no one upload the video nothing even no one talked on the any form is it in weird 

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DhairyaT Are you going to reply at least reply something

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Shell69 Team is trying to figure out a way to reproduce this issue In house, once we get to that point, you will be updated

0 Kudos
Shell69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can just watch the video that I've sent you early

0 Kudos