VMware Communities
louis14
Contributor
Contributor

dhcp start address (in english!)

sorry my message before was in dutch I tought I was on a Belgium link so I explain again.

My host-only adapter vmnet1 is called ethernet1 in windows 10 and has ip address 192.168.17.1 (static)

The DHCP settings in VMWare of vmnet are

subnet 192.168.17.0

mask 255.255.255.0

ip start 192.168.17.128

ip end 192.168.17.254

the dhcp address of my windows 7 guest (as example) is 192.168.17.132 and is the only guest

why is my guest not 192.168.17.128?

(in the future i wil run a dhcp vm (gns3 vm) that must communicate with a software gns3 so the address is important for me.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware Workstation stores its DHCP leases in a file called vmnetdhcp.leases (in C:\ProgramData\VMware). I assume that the addresses 128-131 are already in use for other VMs.

Anyway, if the IP address is important, why don't you use static settings? If this isn't possible for whatever reason, consider to create a DHCP reservation for the VM (see e.g. Re: Assign static IP to guest with NAT Virt Network Adaptor?).

André

0 Kudos
louis14
Contributor
Contributor

‌i've looked to the file dhcpleases and i see all the leases from 128 to 132

but is it possible this is from suspended vm's?

thanks for the tip to implement a fixed dhcp address this is very useful

0 Kudos
jpsider
Expert
Expert

‌iit's in the range, what's the problem? Ideally DHCP does work fifo, but that's not always the case. If you want a certain ip, I recommend static IP's or dhcp reservations.

is there anything else on the network that's pulling an ip or have you created and deleted any other vm's that might have used the first few IP's?

0 Kudos