VMware Communities
hopdog
Contributor
Contributor

how to configure vm workstation to support external telnet connection?

I am trying to get an external development system board to load it's kernel via tftp from my virtual linux box. The virtual linux box is running on Ubuntu. I am using VMWare Workstation which is running on an Dell Laptop with XP. How do I setup the virtual network drivers to support this configuration? Is this possible? I have tried the default NAT connection but this will only work with the internal virtual networt inside of my laptop.

<====<dev board (10.210.64.41)

<==== <laptop> (10.210.64.x)

<=== XP(10.210.64.x)

<===Ubuntu(x.x.x.x ?)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Bridged mode is easiest... that makes your guest appear exactly like another PC on your network.

NAT mode can work, but you need to use the virtual network editor to set up port mapping for the telnet port to the specific guest.

0 Kudos
hopdog
Contributor
Contributor

When I configured the VM network settings to bridged and set the network settings in linux to DHCP I cannot get an address assigned? Is the host pc network adapter/driver blocking this?

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm..Ubuntu GOS Smiley Happy can you check the

1. The network for that virtual machine is "connected" in the VMware Workstation.

2. /etc/network/interfaces file in the Ubuntu guest should contain

auto ethX

iface ethX inet dhcp

If it contains the above lines, what is the output of dhclient command within your Ubuntu gos?

0 Kudos
hopdog
Contributor
Contributor

for some reason "FM" it finally worked. I did select the Replicate physical network connection state box under the Network Connection in the VM Settings. Believe me, I would rather be using a debian or another release, but I don't have days to wait for the download. Do you know of any good download sites that are somewhat fast?

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is your issue resolved?

0 Kudos
hopdog
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I believe it has.

thanks

0 Kudos