VMware Communities
extrashot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how to run a vmdk image on another system which does not have vt support

I have a CentOS 64 as Guest OS installation (basically the vmdk file) which was created on a machine which had Virtualization Support enabled in BIOS.

How ever I have another machine where I do not have virtualization support (even in BIOS) both these machines are 64 bit.

When ever I try to boot the vmd image which was created on machine with Virtualization support on the other machine which does not have virt support

after going through a series of messages as

You have configured this virtual  machine to use a 64 bit guest Operating System.How ever 64 bit operation is not possible. This host does not support VT.For more detailed information see http://vmware.com/info?id=152

Continue without 64 bit support.

Where I select yes

and then some boot sequence starts but then I see a message

Your CPU does not support long  mode.Use a 32 bit distribution.

Is there a way to get past it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In order to run a 64-bit OS inside of a Workstation virtual machine, your host machine needs to have the "Virtualization Technology" feature enabled in the host BIOS.

See page 23 of the Workstation Admin guide at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws71_manual.pdf

So when you define the OS version of the virtual machine as that of a 64-bit one, when you power on the virtual machine and Workstation detects that either your CPU does not allow VT or that it is disabled, then Workstation will throw the message that you were getting. This is by design.

[Note: This an unsupported solution and VMware Technical Support will not support you when using the product in this way].

However, it is possible to "trick" Workstation into thinking that the operating system inside of the virtual machine is going to be that of a 32-bit one.

By simply defining the operating system version as a non-64-bit operating system, then Workstation should not check the CPU/host for the VT technology and this should allow the virtual machine to boot.

When your CentOS virtual machine is powered off:

Click on the "VM" tab at the top of Workstation

Click on "Settings"

Click on the "Options" tab

Under the "Operating System" section, change the OS version from "CentOS 64-bit" or "CentOS".

Click OK

When you boot the virtual machine, it should not throw the error message.

You should be good to go.

However please note that you may experience some "weird" behavior or other performance related issues inside of the guest OS when the virtual machine is booted, and as I stated earlier if you need to investigate an issue with VMware Technical Support, then they will probably not support you in relation to this specific configuration, as according to the documentation it is clearly unsupported.

Hope this helps you though.

0 Kudos
extrashot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi many thanks for your message.

One of my friend has shown me a long time back he downloaded a CentOS vmdk which was 64 bit guest and was able to use on the same machine which I am using (since my machine does not support vt ) so creation of guest is not possible.

But he had edited the vmdk file itself.I have forgotten what he did and how it worked.

How ever I tried the method you mentioned but it did not worked any other idea.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey,

Can you please attach the VMX file for this specific CentOS VM?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the vmx may have one or more entries starting with monitor* whatever

try to comment them out like this

# monitor* .....

0 Kudos