VMware Communities
rwinchester99
Contributor
Contributor

windows 2008 guests and hosts

I have windows 2008 host Installed workstation6.5. Then installed Vista as a guest. Everything running ok. I can browse the windows 2008 (). Problem is I can't ping it. All fiewall have been turned off. I can ping Vista guest from another machine. I am using the bridged configuration. I can also ping the windows 2008 from another machine. I have searched for over 10 hours on forums and communities with no answer.

Has anybody got an answer. I would be very grateful.

Cheers.

PS I cannot ping the windows 2008 guest either.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check to make sure you have the latest driver installed for your Host Network card.

Then as a test (temporarily) disable any "Task Offload" or other "Offload" settings on your Host's Network Card Properties to see if that fixes the ping problem.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

All fiewall have been turned off.

Even though you have turned off your firewall, can you let us know if your firewall is a 3rd party firewall or if it was the built in Windows Firewall?

0 Kudos
rwinchester99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replies scissor

The drivers are the latest. Just using windows firewall (disabled). I can ping the 2008 host from another PC. I can also ping The Vista guest from the other pc. I can ping vista from the host.

I cannot ping the windows 2008 from the Vista guest. I can browse it (which is using netbios) to access shares etc. Seems ICMP and TCP/IP elements are being blocked.

Thanks again

Ray

0 Kudos
rwinchester99
Contributor
Contributor

Found the answer !!

Windows 2008 has several firewall configurations. not just the one in the control panel.

If you go into administration tools-server manager.

expand configuration. Open windows firewall with advanced security. turn off private and public profile.

Works fine now.

0 Kudos