VMware Communities
erbutra
Contributor
Contributor

workstation 12.1 pro and max memory installed on my computer

i have windows 8.1 with 128gb ram

workstation pro 12 see total ram ? It is able to manage and use the 128gb of ram or has limitations?

I read that there are limits to the ram assigned to the vm, but could not find documents about workstation pro limits

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you windows 8.1 is 64 bits then yes it will be able to see and use the memory available in your computer.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
erbutra
Contributor
Contributor

yes w 8.1 64bit enterprise with 128gb ram

I asked this question because in the instructions we talk about 64gb limit but it was unclear whether they were 64gb for each VM or  workstation pro 12 could not use more than 64gb installed on your computer for design reasons

so I can use a maximum of 512 GB of RAM which are the maximum that supports Windows 8 and use virtual machine with 64gb memory allocated max

is correct?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure where you get the max of 512GB from? I see that that is the maximum for Windows 8.1 x64 enterprise, so I guess so.

You are correct about the 64GB/guest limitation, see also:

VMware Workstation 12 Pro Documentation Center

FWIW, I've been looking for a configuration maximum document on VMware Workstation, but haven't been able to locate an official statement for it.

As far as I am aware the RAM is only limited by the amount of RAM that your host OS can address.

If I do manage to find an official statement then I will let you know here.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos