VMware Cloud Community
indikadias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EVC level support

Please help me sort out this issue. I'm going to build a cluster using 3 Servers which having ( intel  X5650) processors and 1 server having

(intel  E5-2650 ) processor.

So my issue is I want to use latest hypervisor and vcenter for manage the cluster .There I have to consider about FT and VMotion.

according EVC which latest vcenter and hypervisor I have to use?

If somebody can provide URL to prove that that could be high

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

This is the KB article with the table. If it is supported by 5.1 then it should support in 5.5 too.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321...

Click on the HCl link given above by Mustafa,

1. Under the "Product Release Version:" Select ESXi 5.5

2. On the right hand side under the "Enhanced vMotion Capability Modes:" select the Intel Westemere Generation.

3. Click Update and View results.

You will see your CPU series supported there.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Indikadias,

FT and vMotion are licensed features and they will depend on the type of license you buy and not on the EVC. The latest hypervisor is 5.5 under vSphere 5.5 suite. Different vSphere editions and license comaprision is given in the link below,

vSphere Editions, What is vSphere? Leading Virtual Infrastructure | United States

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

You can use VMware HCL to check the vSphere compatibility support for the features.

VMware Compatibility Guide: cpu

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
indikadias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi virtualdive,

Thanks for the reply. But VM migration between different processor servers is done through the EVC level  those processors support.So my processors fail on  EVC mode - "EVC L3 Westmere .

I found a KB says vcenter 5.1 support on those EVC mode. but I couldn't find a KB to prove 5.5 supporting.

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

This is the KB article with the table. If it is supported by 5.1 then it should support in 5.5 too.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321...

Click on the HCl link given above by Mustafa,

1. Under the "Product Release Version:" Select ESXi 5.5

2. On the right hand side under the "Enhanced vMotion Capability Modes:" select the Intel Westemere Generation.

3. Click Update and View results.

You will see your CPU series supported there.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos