VMware Cloud Community
adibax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I/O Latency Monitoring

Hello guys,

Is there a way to monitoring "Storage Path" and "Storage Adapter" in performance Tab over one week ? I just can do it in real time ...

Thank you all

PS: I cant create post on vsphere discussion so i post here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
macvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi adibax,

I think it's not possible since vCenter does not have statistical date of storage path latency. Instead of measuring that by vCenter, how about use esxtop, which collects perfect performance data of ESX/ESXi.

run this command on ESX or ESXi,

esxtop -b -d <Interval: Second> -n <Sampling number> esxtop.cfg > output.csv &

esxtop.cfg file includes paramaters below.

abcdefghij

abcdefghijklmnopq

ABCdEfGHIJkl

abcdefghijklmnop

abcdefgh

abcdefghijklmno

abcdef

abcde

5c

Interval and Sampling number depends on your demand. If you want high resolution data, you should put Interval as short as you can. Note that esxtop generates huge data so make sure that your storage can store that size of file.

Best,

MAC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
macvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi adibax,

I think it's not possible since vCenter does not have statistical date of storage path latency. Instead of measuring that by vCenter, how about use esxtop, which collects perfect performance data of ESX/ESXi.

run this command on ESX or ESXi,

esxtop -b -d <Interval: Second> -n <Sampling number> esxtop.cfg > output.csv &

esxtop.cfg file includes paramaters below.

abcdefghij

abcdefghijklmnopq

ABCdEfGHIJkl

abcdefghijklmnop

abcdefgh

abcdefghijklmno

abcdef

abcde

5c

Interval and Sampling number depends on your demand. If you want high resolution data, you should put Interval as short as you can. Note that esxtop generates huge data so make sure that your storage can store that size of file.

Best,

MAC

0 Kudos
adibax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Macvirtual Smiley Wink Your help was very helpfull !

I downloaded "VisualESXTOP" on Labs.vmware for monitor, in a graph' and in a intervals and periods wanted (just the command you gave me ;-), all the metric ESXTOP while storing the log on my local computer !

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/visualesxtop

Do you know if a metric exist for MBPS on HBA Adapter ? I found IOPS (CMD/s) and Latency ms (DAVG/wr) and i would like to find the MBPS use by my HBA adaptater.

VisualEsxTop.jpg

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

What type of storage protocol are vmhba 3 is using ?

Because I was able to find MBPS for FC HBA Adapter

Capture.JPG

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
adibax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Mustafa Smiley Wink

Thank you for your contribution Smiley Wink All my ESXi use Emulex HBA FC 8Gb.

Why do you have more metric than me ? I'm missing something ... maybe I/O Storage activate !?

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

Not really I checked with my iSCSI HBA where the metrics are less compared to one in FC.

I need to check which FC HBA's are connected to my servers.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.