VMware Cloud Community
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installed VC server cannot see old Cluster

Hello,

Installed new hosts and vcenter server 6 on same network sub net as vcenter server 5.1 as our production datacenter and I can see the upper level of new cluster  however, I cannot see the production cluster from the new vcenter? Is there a setting I am missing in the new vcenter? I want to see both clusters in both vcenters so I can migrate my vms to the new hosts and retire vcenter 5 and hosts. I feel I am missing a setting that is in the production that isn't in the new.

thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

You cannot see same cluster, host or VMs in two different vCenter's.

if you configure Linked Mode vCenter's then you can see two vCenter inventory in single View.

If I understood correctly, You have Install vCenter 6 and new Hosts and you need migrate old Host and Vms from vCenter 5.1

Disable HA in old vCenter Cluster.

Disconnect Host form old vCenter

Add Host in new vCenter.

Then you can perform storage vMotion and vMotion for VMs.

if you are using same old SAN storage then present old LUNs to new Host.

If you are using dvSwitch then before you disconnect Host form old vCenter you need to migrate Host and VMs from dvSwitch to  Standard Switch and then proceed with host disconnect.

Thanks,

Haridas

Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DvSwitch is not enabled on both vcenters. When I disconnect the host from the old vcenter can I have the production servers still running? or do I put the host in maintenance mode, move to the new vcenter then vmotion the storage and Vms, then move the VMs to the new hosts and retire the old hosts?

0 Kudos
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also why can I see the new cluster in the production vcenter and not see the production cluster in the new?

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

I didn't get this "also why can I see the new cluster in the production vcenter and not see the production cluster in the new? "

Please post image what you want to see and where.

No need to put Host in Maintenance Mode in Old vCenter.

1. Disable ESXi HA Cluster in old vCenter.

2. Right click ESXi Host and select disconnect.

3. Add disconnected ESXi Host in new vCenter.  ( you need to have root/password for each ESXi Host)

4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for each Host from old vCenter.

Configure ESXi Cluster using new Host in new vCenter.

Assuming you are using existing SAN storage for New Hosts also.

if you have presented same storage to all ESXi Host then you can vMotion VMs from old Host to new Host. ( if old Host and new Host CPUs are not compatible then Live migration may not work and you would have to power off VMs and then do vMotion)

also if needed you can do Storage vMotion to migrate Vms from old storage to new storage.

Thanks,

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the production (old) vcenter 5.5,  I can see the cluster name that is in the new vcenter but, cannot see the production cluster in the new vcenter 6.

The new Vcenter 6 is a new system all together. New Hosts and SAN, both are installed and running on same subnet as vcenter 5.5. Once the host is disconnected and reconnected to the new vcenter . Then migrate the vms by the "change both host and datastore the new host" selection.

It would more than likely not be a Live migration because of the hosts are different makes and models and new vs older. 

0 Kudos
homerjnick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perhaps the cluster names are just the same but are not actually the same entity?

As mentioned, screenshots of both vCenters would help.

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Please share screen shots with highlighting what you are expecting to see and where.

You can create Cluster in different vCenter with Same name but you cannot see the same cluster object and its inventory in tow different vCenter's.

0 Kudos