VMware Cloud Community
EdYee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerCli for alert reset actions?

I have scripted out setting all of our relevant alerts for trigger actions to email my distribution list but it doesn't seem to do anything in terms of Reset actions. I have looked through the commands and whenever I do Get-AlarmAction, it will show the SendEmail for the alert but not for the reset rule. Does anyone know how I can see the Reset Rules to add email notifications? Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdYee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to configure the reset action using these commands:

Get-AlarmDefinition $alert | New-AlarmAction -Email -To $email -Subject $resolvedsub | New-AlarmActionTrigger -StartStatus Yellow -EndStatus Green

It would get the definition for the alarm, create a new email action for the alarm, and set it to the trigger of yellow back to green. I have verified within the Web console that the Reset Rule 1 now has the email configured in it on 6.7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Could you post (a section of) your script?

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
EdYee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure

#Connect to vCenter

Connect-VIServer $vcenter

#Gather list of alerts I want to configure and exclude vSAN, etc.

$novsanorimprove = Get-AlarmDefinition | where{($_.name -notlike "*vsan*") -and ($_.name -notlike "*virtual disk infrastructure namespace*") -and ($_.name -notlike "*virtual machine cpu usage*") -and ($_.name -notlike "*virtual machine memory usage*")}

#Loop through alerts and configure email action

foreach ($alert in $novsanorimprove)

{

$subject = $alert.name;

Get-AlarmDefinition $alert | New-AlarmAction -Email -To $emailaddress -Subject $subject

}

#Disconnect

Disconnect-VIServer -Force -Confirm:$false

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the script. But now I'm kinda confused about your initial question. You create a new alarm action with the email action and now you want to check your work? What about "Get-AlarmAction -ActionType SendEmail"?

0 Kudos
EdYee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I do not need to check my work. The script only creates the email action for the alert trigger and does not do anything for the reset action. I would like to configure emailing during a reset action as well, like when the alarm conditions are no longer true indicating that the alert is resolved. Right now we only get the email for when an issue is detected, not resolved.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ah I see... I'm afraid that is not possible. At least I don't think it's possible.

0 Kudos
EdYee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to configure the reset action using these commands:

Get-AlarmDefinition $alert | New-AlarmAction -Email -To $email -Subject $resolvedsub | New-AlarmActionTrigger -StartStatus Yellow -EndStatus Green

It would get the definition for the alarm, create a new email action for the alarm, and set it to the trigger of yellow back to green. I have verified within the Web console that the Reset Rule 1 now has the email configured in it on 6.7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.