VMware Cloud Community
johnny2time
Contributor
Contributor

VCENTER 8.0 installer hangs on "initializing"

trying to install vcenter, already have my ESXI 8.0 server up and running. 

when i mount the vcenter .iso and run the windows exe go through the config it hangs on initializing when it goes to do the install. anyone experience this?

on windows 10

8 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Start from the beginning: correct IP assigned, DNS, subnet, gateway, correct IP for the ESXi host where vCenter will be located. 

0 Kudos
Steve43
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, using the same settings on Windows 10 and a Linux client and the installer hangs at initializing. The log shows nothing useful, it never runs the OVF Tool to actually push the ova to the host. I was able to install a 7.0.3 vCenter using the same settings (literally the cached ones in the installer) without an issue.

I was able to install 8.0 successfully by manually deploying the ova that's in the vcsa directory on the iso through the ESX web client, then connecting to the VM on port 5480 to complete Stage 2.

0 Kudos
Steve43
Contributor
Contributor

Also make sure your host is not using a free license. Trial should work, but free doesn't.

maksym007
Expert
Expert

Are you sure that you using correct ISO. I mean for the installation not for patching. 

0 Kudos
GuidoVL1
Contributor
Contributor

THX.  is exactly as mentioned here : 1 ESXI with license, 1 ESXI (same type)  without...  works only on the server without the license.

0 Kudos
shellOS
Contributor
Contributor

Me too

0 Kudos
7inabox
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what the root cause is.

Workaround: use the ESXi webinterface to create a VM using the provided OVA in the vCenter image.

• Mount the ISO file on your client system. You will find the needed OVA under <drive>://vcsa/VMWare-vCenter-Server.....ova
  • In ESXi web interface -> Create VM -> Deploy from an OVA -> Select file (use the OVA).
  • Provide needed information (make sure to open all the option fileds) -> Finish
  • Boot the VM
  • Go to https://<VM-IP>:5480 and complete the installation
pawn46
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, the hanging was solved by removing a folder from a previous install.

rm -rf /tmp/vcsaUiInstaller

0 Kudos