VMware Cloud Community
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCenter Server hangs at Applying computer settings

This just started recently where my vcenter server hangs at applying computer settings for like 20 to 30 minutes. I cant seem to figure out what the issue is. I tried to do an update to vcenter, that didn't go well so I restore to earlier version of vcenter VM, but still have the issue of it hanging on applying computer settings. I have tried to remove the NIC and no change. I can boot to safemode just fine. I have done a chkdsk and the logs don't say much. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Try to check if you have any GPO issue?

try this command gpresult and gpupdate /force and check if everything is fine.

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
ssumichrast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How old was your restore?  It is possible that in between your restore point and now the AD computer account password changed and the VM is no longer able to log in to AD to obtain its policies. 

You can check to see if this is the case on the DCs in the site (AD site if you have multiple) in their event log.

You could also look at the attributes of the computer object in AD and see when the "pwdLastSet" time is. If its aftyouths date of your restore point that is likely the issue. Boot the VM with the network unplugged, wait for it to time out, log in using local administrator, re-enable NIC and rejoin the system to the domain.

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

backup is one day old.

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Took the Server out from an GPs and all inheritance. Still hanging for long periods of time. Can I just rebuild my vcenter server? I wasn't running any resource pools, the most I had was template folders. It was using the embedded DB? Thinking if I have to rebuild to just go with the vcenter appliance so simplicity.

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

Yes, if its taking longer than expected to troubleshoot this issue rebuilding vcenter might be easier.

Note that you will lose vcenter settings, cluster settings, licenses of vc, custom permission, performance data.

Also take a look at snapshots of vm incase you want to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some issue that I cant seem to resolve. It was easier to rebuild.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

0 Kudos