VMware Cloud Community
cochranjc80
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter 6.5 install on Server 2019

hello, I am trying to install VCenter 6.5 on server 2019. It will not install; it errors out with a 1603 error. any help would be greatly appreciated. Jon
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Error 1603 is a typical Windows Installer error, and you may need to go through the log files to find out what may cause this.
Also note that Windows Server 2019 is not a supported host OS (which does not necessarily mean that it will not work).
see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2091273

Aside from this, is there a special reason, why you want to install the Windows based vCenter Server rather than the vCenter Server Virtual Appliance (vCSA)?

André

0 Kudos
cochranjc80
Contributor
Contributor

i am really new to Vmware. I took over a Army network at my job and this is how it is ran. I want to change how it is set up. how would i do the appliance. I hope this makes sense.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Installing vCenter Server on a Windows host was the initial deployment model, but it has changed, and VMware now provides a virtual appliance, which can be deployed on an ESXi host, i.e. no more need of a Windows Server. In fact, current versions do not offer the Windows based vCenter Server installation option anymore.

Please take a look at e.g. vCenter Server Installation and Setup for details about the installation.

Note that vCenter Server usually supports ESXi hosts of the same version, and the previous 2 versions only.
Since you mentioned version 6.5, and assuming the hosts that you want/need to manager run ESXi 6.5, you cannot use the latest vCenter Server version (which is 8.0) but have to go with version 7.0. Also remember that vSphere 6.x went out of support in October last year!

André

0 Kudos
cochranjc80
Contributor
Contributor

WOW... we are way behind... when i try to download the 6.5 appliance. I get this error You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product. Check with your My VMware Super User, Procurement Contact or Administrator. If you recently purchased this product through VMware Store or through a third-party, try downloading later.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> WOW... we are way behind...
Short answer. Yes you are 😉

>>> You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product
This message is usually not related to the version itself, but to the permissions that you have in the Customer Connect portal. You may need to reach out to your license admin to assign you download permissions.

André

0 Kudos
cochranjc80
Contributor
Contributor

thank you
0 Kudos