VMware Cloud Community
slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter HA

HI

I am about to implement vCenter HA however there is not documentation or if there is it is very gray no explanation or architectural documents how vCenter HA "knows" that Active vCenter is not available.

For example if you have network problems for example for 2 minutes will HA wait until it fails over or it will do it immediately

Under what circumstances vCenter ha determines that Active is no longer available and fails over

NO explanation just click here click here. I understand if vCenter goes down but what about network issues for example vCenter active is isolated for 2 minutes can we change setting that HA should wait for 3 minutes before it sees Active unreachable

0 Kudos
1 Reply
markey165
Expert
Expert

to implement vCenter HA however there is not documentation or if there is it is very gray no explanation or architectural documents how vCenter HA "knows" that Active vCenter is not available.

I'm not an expert, but i have run and used VCHA. The witness node is how VCHA knows the active vCenter is not available. This is the node that initiates the failover, and i believe does so immediately. However the process takes about 5 minutes to initialize the Passive Standby such that it becomes the Active vCenter.

Note that VCHA isn't supported by Veeam. Its possible that may have changed now, as i know they were looking to add support, but it was still unsupported the last time i checked.

HTH