VMware Cloud Community
Chirag235
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

convert hard disk from thick provision lazy zero to thin provision in template

Hi all,

I have template with Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed Disk, I want to convert that disk to Thin Provision. can you guide me how can I do this. Hope you are provide me best solution via PowerShall, Command line or Web Console base.

Chirag235_0-1697524929868.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Brisk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you storage vmotion the template to another datastore, you should have the option to select which disk type you want to use. If you select thin provision there, the disk will be converted during the svmotion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

2 Options for doing this depending on your setup:

1. In a clustered setup with multiple datastores, simply perform a Storage vMotion, move the VM to a different datastore, and select Thin Provisioned as the disk type. The Storage vMotion process will then convert it for you
  2. On a standalone host it is still possible but you'll need to perform a bit more trickery with vmkfstools. Probably best if I point you to an article that walks you through the process. Check it out here Convert Thick Provisioned Disk to Thin Provisioned on ESXi

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Brisk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you storage vmotion the template to another datastore, you should have the option to select which disk type you want to use. If you select thin provision there, the disk will be converted during the svmotion.

0 Kudos
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

2 Options for doing this depending on your setup:

1. In a clustered setup with multiple datastores, simply perform a Storage vMotion, move the VM to a different datastore, and select Thin Provisioned as the disk type. The Storage vMotion process will then convert it for you
  2. On a standalone host it is still possible but you'll need to perform a bit more trickery with vmkfstools. Probably best if I point you to an article that walks you through the process. Check it out here Convert Thick Provisioned Disk to Thin Provisioned on ESXi

HTH