VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

syncronize between to machine

Hi.

I have 2 esxi host and  a machine on one of them . that machine's Os is redhat (linux) and  SqlServer has been installed on it now i want create a new machine such as first machine and i want to do syncronize between  both of these machine  all times specially their database(Sql server) .

now what do i have to do ?

what do i need to install ?

thanks.

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

it depends. When you say you want them synchronized "all the time", what does that exactly mean? What RTO and RPO?

If you really want it "all the time", RTO and RPO would be 0, so you would need to set up a second SQL Server and configure your database for multi-master-replication. This would be handled by your SQL Server and not by VMware.

If you can stand some downtime, you could look into this:  VMware vSphere Replication: Efficient Virtual Machine Replication | United States

Regards

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

thanks.

some downtime is not important but  :

1- Can i use VR for doing this ?

2-when i use VR All data on my sqlserver (first machine) are sync with sql data (second machine) Or i have to do Config on sqlserver?

3-finally Install and Config VR is enough or have to Config Sqlserver for do Sync?

thanks

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

???

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi ,

From what I understand from your above requirement is that you want to have replica of original virtual machine, so that  SQL server is replicated and is available if original goes down.

You can use vSphere Replication, however minimum of 15 minutes of data will not be available if original server goes down or crash. Since last synchronization will be  15 minutes delayed.

Else you need to use some sort of clustering if it is available in linux.

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

thanks from your answer but i want to sure that if i do VR on my machine all data in sql server on my machine will sync?

Do i have to do any config on my sqlserver for syncronize or VR Will do all of changes?

Regards

Babak Seyedi

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

No,

you don't configure anything inside your guest VM or database. The whole VM will be replicated. Replicating opened databases is always a risk though.

So I'd go with multiple VMs and a multi-master-replication database.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

thanks.

would you explain more about this "So I'd go with multiple VMs and a multi-master-replication database."   ?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

You can set up two VMs, and let the database replicate to the second VM. This is done inside your database. The normal and easier way is a master-slave replication where the slave is read only. The more complex replication is the multi-master where all db servers are writeable.

Here's how it's done in MySQL for example: MySQL :: MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual :: 16 Replication

0 Kudos