VMware Cloud Community
upendesai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.5 HA deployment - private network

HI

I hope you can help, i am trying to deploy vmware 6.5 as a HA pair. The VMs are being deployed on Blade servers.

All the bit are working ok with the exception of the HA Private network.

Can you please advise when provisioning HA network, does the uplink ports on the cisco switch have to be trunk or access.

we currently have it setup as trunk ports on the HP Virtual Connect, and as soon as i tag the vlan on the HA vSwitch, i am unable to ping the private address of the other hosts.

If i remove the vlan tag then ping test is fine.

please let me know if you need any more information.

many thanks

Upen Desai

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it only works when the VLAN tag is removed then it sounds like that VLAN is either native (on a trunk) or configured as an access port. There is no requirement from a vSphere side when it comes to how you configure such a port.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter and ultimately it's up to you and your infrastructure. The only requirement is that the nodes on the private network all be reachable from each other, so however you need to accomplish that with your networking gear is up to you.

0 Kudos
upendesai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for coming back to me, so is it best practice to tag the HA network with a vlan or can it be left as default with no vlan.

What functionality would we lose buy doing this.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Again, it really doesn't matter. Whether you create a portgroup which is tagged or untagged makes no difference and you neither gain nor lose functionality. Whatever is required to ensure that private network has connectivity amongst all nodes participating in vCHA is the only thing that matters (well, mostly...).

0 Kudos
upendesai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI

The private network only seems to work if the vlan tag is removed. Just making sure that this is the correct way to implement as this method will be queried by my peers.

thank you

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it only works when the VLAN tag is removed then it sounds like that VLAN is either native (on a trunk) or configured as an access port. There is no requirement from a vSphere side when it comes to how you configure such a port.

0 Kudos