VMware Cloud Community
sivaksk147
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware Clod Migration boot cd for SQL Database server Migration

Hi techies,

I have an a requirement to Migrate an one of our Physcial DB server to virtual machine, Since it is very critical to business so i thought to go with cold cloning with boot cd, but i could not get this bootable cd any where..! can some one help me on this? and also please suggest me is there any other way i can do this task successfully with out fails ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware Converter 5.x has the ability do perform sychronize so you can use this perform p2v migration

1) Perform a full P2v and when its done and you are ready to cut over

2) Stop the database service and do a synchronizaion and bring the VM back online

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

so i thought to go with cold cloning with boot cd

While I am not sure exactly how that process would work, I can recommend you to use P2V

When you say cold cloning, do you mean that you can afford downtime?

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

VMware has removed cold migration Boot CD from download portal. It is not available anymore. However if you want to migrate SQL server.

1. You can use VMware converter to convert whole machine

2. If it has any RDM from SAN attach to this SQL server, then convert only OS disk and map RDM disk to converted SQL machine.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware Converter 5.x has the ability do perform sychronize so you can use this perform p2v migration

1) Perform a full P2v and when its done and you are ready to cut over

2) Stop the database service and do a synchronizaion and bring the VM back online

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos